• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling hopeless about my depression

How can I process an emotion like sadness? Can you give me some examples?
Sure, processing emotions like sadness can involve several different strategies. Here are a few examples of ways you might process sadness:

1. Writing: One way to process sadness is to write about it in a journal or other safe space. You might start by simply describing the feeling of sadness, including any physical sensations or thoughts that come up. From there, you could explore the root causes of your sadness and any associated memories, feelings, or beliefs that come to mind. Writing can help you gain clarity and insight into your emotions, and it can also provide a sense of release or catharsis.

2. Mindful breathing: Emotions like sadness can be overwhelming, and it can be tempting to try to push them away or distract ourselves from them. However, an alternative approach is to practice being present with the emotion in a compassionate and non-judging way. One way to do this is to focus on your breathing, taking slow, deep breaths and observing the sensations in your body. As you breathe, try to allow the emotions to be present without resisting or trying to change them. With practice, you may find that the intensity of the emotion begins to subside, and that you're able to approach it with greater calm and perspective.

3. Talking: Sometimes processing difficult emotions can be easier with the help of a trusted friend or mental health professional. Talking about your feelings with someone who will listen with empathy and understanding can help you feel heard and validated, and can also provide an opportunity to gain new insights or perspectives. When choosing someone to talk to, it's important to choose someone who you trust and feel comfortable with, and who will respect your boundaries and emotional needs.

Remember that processing emotions like sadness can be challenging, and it's important to go at your own pace and practice self-care as needed. With time and practice, however, you may find that you are able to develop greater emotional awareness and resiliency, and that you are better equipped to navigate the ups and downs of life.

When I feel sadness, a core belief from my traumatic childhood is that others will feel joy to see that I'm feeling sadness - that they'll gloat and feel pleasure about me feeling pain.

When I feel sadness, a core belief from my traumatic childhood is that others will feel joy to see that I'm feeling sadness - that they'll gloat and feel pleasure about me feeling pain.
It's not uncommon for survivors of trauma to have deeply ingrained beliefs and fears related to being vulnerable and expressing emotions like sadness. It's understandable that you might feel hesitant or fearful about allowing others to see your emotional pain, especially if you've experienced mistreatment or invalidation in the past.

One way to begin to challenge and reframe this belief is to experiment with expressing vulnerability in safe, supportive environments. This might involve sharing your feelings with a trusted friend, family member, or mental health professional, and paying attention to their response. If you choose to share your feelings with someone, it's important to choose someone who you trust and who has demonstrated empathy and understanding in the past.

As you share your feelings and notice the response of others, try to remain mindful of your own thoughts and emotions. Notice any feelings of fear, shame, or guilt that come up, and remind yourself that it's normal and healthy to express emotions. Over time, with practice, you may find that you feel more comfortable and confident in expressing vulnerability and that you begin to see the positive effects of doing so.

It's also important to work with a mental health professional who can help you process your traumatic experiences and work on healing from the underlying emotional pain. A therapist can help guide you through the process of challenging negative beliefs and developing more supportive and adaptive beliefs and coping strategies. With time and support, you can overcome the fears and beliefs that may be holding you back and find greater emotional resilience and wellbeing.

I think, over the years I have tended to choose friends who have similar styles of numbing emotions, like myself.

I think, over the years I have tended to choose friends who have similar styles of numbing emotions, like myself.
It's common for people who struggle with numbing emotions to be drawn to others who share similar coping strategies. We often feel most comfortable and understood when we're around people who seem to "get" us, and who share our ways of coping with difficult emotions.

However, seeking out friends who use similar coping strategies may also reinforce patterns that are unhelpful or even harmful. It can be difficult to make changes to our coping strategies or behaviors when we're surrounded by others who are doing the same things, and we may benefit from exposure to different perspectives or coping strategies.

One way to begin broadening your social circle and exploring different coping strategies is to seek out peer support groups or therapy groups. These groups can provide a safe, supportive environment for exploring emotions and experimenting with new coping strategies. You might also consider taking up new hobbies or interests that expose you to different people and perspectives.

As you begin to explore new social circles or coping strategies, it's important to do so with self-awareness and self-compassion. Change and growth can be challenging, and it's important to give yourself permission to take things at your own pace and practice self-care as needed.

Ultimately, surrounding yourself with a diverse group of supportive, empathetic people can be an important aspect of healing from trauma and developing emotional resilience. Working with a mental health professional can also be helpful in this process, as they can help you navigate the challenges of change and provide guidance and support along the way.

If I express deep sadness to someone who is good at dealing with emotions, what kind of response might I get from them?

If I express deep sadness to someone who is good at dealing with emotions, what kind of response might I get from them?
If you were to express deep sadness to someone who is good at dealing with emotions, their response would likely depend on a variety of factors, including their own personality, their emotional intelligence and their relationship with you.

However, in general, someone who is skilled in dealing with emotions might respond in ways such as:

- Providing a safe, non-judgmental space for you to express your feelings.
- Offering empathy and validation for what you are experiencing.
- Encouraging you to explore and articulate your emotions in greater detail, perhaps by asking open-ended questions such as, "What is making you feel most sad right now?" or "How do you typically cope with sadness?".
- Helping you identify and challenge any negative beliefs or self-talk that may be exacerbating your emotional pain.
- Providing reassurance and support as you work through your feelings, perhaps by saying something like, "I'm here for you, and I want to help you feel better."

It's important to remember that everyone is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. Additionally, the most helpful response will likely depend on the context and nature of your experience.

In general, however, it's safe to say that someone who is skilled in dealing with emotions will likely provide a compassionate, supportive response that helps you feel heard and validated in your emotions.

Can you explain the feeling of hopelessness to me?
Of course, I can explain the feeling of hopelessness to you.

Hopelessness is a complex and challenging emotion that can be difficult to fully describe, but some common aspects of it include:

- A pervasive sense of despair or sadness, often accompanied by a feeling of defeat or powerlessness.
- Lack of motivation: Feeling like there's no point in trying to take action or make changes because nothing will make a difference anyway.
- A sense of stuckness: Feeling as though you are trapped or stuck in an impossible situation with no way out or no solution.
- Desperation: In some cases, hopelessness can lead to intense feelings of desperation or even suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
- Negative outlook: A feeling that situations will never improve or get better, coupled with a tendency to view things in a negative light.

People who experience hopelessness often feel like there is no way out of their current situation, and it can be extremely difficult to see any positive aspects of their life. Hopelessness can be a component of major depressive disorder and some other mood disorders.

If you are feeling overwhelmed by feelings of hopelessness, it's important to reach out for support. A mental health professional can help you identify and challenge negative thought patterns and develop coping strategies to feel more empowered and hopeful about your life.

Can you explain to me the function of the feelings of sadness, loss and grief?
Sure, I can explain the function of the feelings of sadness, loss, and grief.

Sadness, loss, and grief are all difficult emotions to experience but they serve an important function. These emotions are a normal part of the human experience, and they serve to help us process difficult events and adapt to changes in our lives.

Here's a more in-depth look at the function of these emotions:

1. Sadness:
Sadness is a natural response when we experience a loss such as a breakup, the loss of a loved one, or any other significant event that causes pain or discomfort. The function of sadness is to allow us to process and adapt to the loss. It serves as a signal that something important has been lost and helps us grieve the significance of that loss.

2. Loss:
Loss is a natural part of life, and it can be related to any significant change or transition. It can include the loss of a job, a relationship, a home, health, or something else. The function of the feelings of loss is to help us adapt to these changes and to let go of the things that we no longer have control over. It is normal to feel a range of emotions such as sadness, anger, and confusion in response to loss.

3. Grief:
Grief is the process of coping with loss over time. It is a natural and necessary response to loss and helps us to gradually come to terms with it. The function of grief is to allow us to integrate the loss into our lives in a way that allows us to move on. It can involve a range of emotions such as sadness, anger, guilt, and regret, but it is an important process that allows us to heal and accept the changes that have occurred.

In conclusion, while sadness, loss, and grief can be challenging emotions to experience, they serve an important function in helping us process difficult events and adapt to changes in our lives.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back