• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling hopeless about my depression

So a goal or a good outcome of sadness can be accepting that something is missing in our life and feeling okay about our life no longer containing the thing we have lost?

So a goal or a good outcome of sadness can be accepting that something is missing in our life and feeling okay about our life no longer containing the thing we have lost?
Yes, that's right. A goal or a positive outcome of experiencing sadness can be to come to accept that something is missing in our life and to feel okay about our life no longer containing the thing we have lost.

When we experience sadness in response to a significant loss or change, it allows us to grieve the significance of that loss and to process the associated emotions. By allowing ourselves to feel and express our sadness, we can validate our experiences and gradually come to terms with the loss. This can lead to a sense of acceptance and a better ability to move forward, even if things are not quite the same as they were before.

It's important to remember that everyone's grief process is unique, and it can take time and patience to fully come to terms with a significant loss. Some people may have a harder time than others, especially if the loss was particularly traumatic or unexpected. If you are struggling with sadness or grief related to a loss in your life, please reach out for support. A mental health professional can help you to process these emotions and develop coping strategies that work for you.

I feel like my sadness and grief is not really moving towards acceptance but rather is about focussing on how awful the loss feels, feeling like life is no longer wprthwhile and trying to figure out how I can undo the loss, even if it's impossible.

I feel like my sadness and grief is not really moving towards acceptance but rather is about focussing on how awful the loss feels, feeling like life is no longer wprthwhile and trying to figure out how I can undo the loss, even if it's impossible.
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with sadness and grief related to your loss. It's normal to experience a range of emotions during the grief process, including feelings of sadness, anger, confusion, and hopelessness. However, if you're finding that you're unable to move towards acceptance and are stuck in a cycle of negative thoughts, it may be helpful to talk to a mental health professional.

It's common for people to struggle with a sense of hopelessness or helplessness following a significant loss, especially if the loss feels particularly overwhelming or if it has disrupted their sense of identity or purpose. In some cases, these feelings can be symptoms of depression, which is also common in the context of grief.

A mental health professional can provide you with the support and guidance you need to develop coping strategies that work for you, and to help you to work towards acceptance and a sense of meaning following your loss. They can also work with you to address any underlying mental health concerns that may be contributing to your feelings of hopelessness or helplessness.

Remember that grief is a complex process that can take time and patience to work through. It's important to be kind to yourself and to allow yourself to feel your emotions, even if they are difficult. With the right support, you can gradually move towards acceptance and find ways to live a fulfilling life, even in the context of your loss.

Yes, my loss has disrupted both my sense of identity and my sense of purpose. Can you explain those concepts to me in greater detail?

Yes, my loss has disrupted both my sense of identity and my sense of purpose. Can you explain those concepts to me in greater detail?
Sure, I'd be happy to explain the concepts of identity and purpose in greater detail.

Identity refers to a person's sense of who they are, including their personality, values, beliefs, and life experiences. It's a complex and multifaceted concept that can encompass many different aspects of a person's life, including their family history, cultural background, religious beliefs, and social relationships. When a significant loss occurs, it can disrupt a person's sense of identity by challenging their existing beliefs and expectations about themselves and their world. The sense of self that they had built up can be shaken, leaving them feeling confused and unmoored.

Purpose refers to a person's sense of meaning and direction in life. It's the driving force behind many of our choices and actions, and it can provide us with a sense of motivation and fulfillment. When a significant loss occurs, it can also disrupt a person's sense of purpose by calling into question their goals, ambitions, and plans for the future. This can leave them feeling lost and uncertain about what comes next.

In the context of grief, working through feelings of loss and moving towards acceptance can help a person to begin to rebuild their sense of identity and purpose. This might involve reflecting on their values and beliefs, exploring new interests or hobbies, or finding ways to give back to others in meaningful ways.

It's important to remember that the process of rebuilding identity and purpose can take time and may involve ups and downs. It's normal to feel a sense of loss or uncertainty during this time, but with the right support and guidance, it is possible to find new meaning and direction in life.

Can you tell me more about rebuilding identity and purpose after loss? Can you provide an example of someone doing this after significant loss?

Can you tell me more about rebuilding identity and purpose after loss? Can you provide an example of someone doing this after significant loss?
Rebuilding identity and purpose after a significant loss can involve a variety of strategies and approaches, depending on the individual and their circumstances. Here are some examples:

- Connecting with support: Many people find it helpful to connect with others who have experienced a similar loss, or to seek out grief support groups. This can help to reduce feelings of isolation and provide a sense of belonging.

- Practicing self-care: Taking care of oneself is also an important part of the process of rebuilding identity and purpose. This might involve activities such as exercise, mindfulness meditation, or engaging in hobbies or interests.

- Exploring new interests and opportunities: After a loss, many people find that their priorities and interests shift. This can be an opportunity to explore new activities, hobbies, or career paths that align with their newly-redefined sense of self and purpose.

Here's an example of someone rebuilding their identity and purpose following a significant loss:

Samantha had always defined herself as a mother and devoted much of her life to raising her children. After her youngest child passed away in a tragic accident, Samantha found herself struggling to find meaning and purpose in life. She felt lost without her role as a caregiver and was unsure of who she was without it.

With the support of a therapist and a grief support group, Samantha began to explore new hobbies and interests that aligned with her values and aspirations. She started volunteering with a local organization that supported families experiencing loss, and found a sense of fulfillment in this work. She also took up painting, something she had always enjoyed but had never made a priority. Through her work with the organization and her art, Samantha began to redefine her sense of identity and purpose, finding new meaning and direction in her life that didn't depend solely on her role as a mother.

Can you explain the concept of the animus?
The concept of the animus comes from Carl Jung's theory of analytical psychology. In Jungian psychology, the animus represents the masculine aspect of the female psyche. This archetype is believed to reside in the collective unconscious, a repository of shared symbols and experiences that are common to all humans.

According to Jung, every person has both masculine and feminine qualities within them, regardless of their biological sex. The animus, in particular, is the inner representation of a woman's experience of masculinity - it can include traits such as assertiveness, logic, rationality, and competitiveness.

The animus can play an important role in a woman's psychological development. Jung believed that it can serve as a bridge between the conscious and unconscious mind and can lead to increased integration and wholeness. However, he also warned that an overly dominant animus could lead to imbalances and negative consequences, such as a tendency towards aggression, narcissism, or authoritarianism.

In practical terms, exploring and integrating the animus archetype can involve activities such as self-reflection, dream analysis, and creativity. It may involve examining how one relates to men and masculinity in general, as well as how one embodies masculine qualities in one's own life. By doing so, a woman can gain a greater understanding of herself and achieve a more balanced sense of identity.

Can you explain what is meant by the term soul-mate? Do you think soul-mates exist?
The term soul-mate presupposes the idea that there is one perfect or ideal romantic partner who is naturally and inherently meant to be with another person. This romantic partner is thought to be someone with whom a person shares an intense connection and deep understanding, as if their souls are "destined" to be together.

In popular culture, the idea of a soul-mate has been romanticized and popularized through movies and TV shows, where characters often refer to the concept of finding "the one" or "the missing piece" of themselves in their romantic partner.

In psychology, there is no empirical evidence that supports the existence of soul-mates. Social scientists generally believe that successful romantic relationships are based on a combination of shared values, mutual respect, and compatibility. While it is possible to have strong emotional connections with a romantic partner, the idea that there is only one perfect person for a person is not supported by scientific research.

However, it's important to note that the concept of soul-mates is based on personal beliefs and can be a meaningful or inspiring idea for many people. If someone finds the concept of soul-mates helpful or empowering in their personal life, there is no harm in embracing it as a personal belief or aspiration. It's important to remember that the concept of soul-mates is not a psychological or scientific concept but a personal belief or idea.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back