• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling shaky during argument...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rani G2

MyPTSD Pro
I'm trying very hard to work on this issue. Listening to Audiobooks, reading, going to the Gym, Selfdefense etc. BUT I have this issue with "adrenaline rush" during confronting someone. It depends on the person but I get shaky and I find this very hard to deal with. I am aware of the fight/ flight/ freeze mode and how our organism reacts if something is threatening.
Now I feel that I am repairing on the outer like developing more awareness on breathing, Doing yoga BUT not going to the source of that feeling. That feeling arises from being hurt as a child and yes this is a long process which takes place in. while doing therapy but I just cannot change this shakiness. Its bothering me

I get that too.
My work involved alot of agressive and violent people, 1moment i was talking and helping someone who tried to kill him/herself, the next me or my coworkers got atacked by someone and had to fight or physically or verbally control someone. I never had any problems with it. I loved the unpredictable days. I was very good at switching between behaviors from others. But then tbi and ptsd came into my life. Now i start to shake and my heartrate and breathing changes when in arguements. Even when i am not in it myself, just hearing others will do it. Cant stand people walking up to me either... I see danger in every person... Hate the shaking too.

1moment i was talking and helping someone who tried to kill him/herself, the next me or my coworkers got atacked by someone and had to fight or physically or verbally control someone

Thanks Lilyrose for writing. Thats a very tough Job! Definitely! You used to love it? Woaa...
I work with patients so they can be rude at times. I sometimes get aggressive but I must control myself... so I do tell or talk back but it feels like a battleground as if I am walking on a minefield.
My mother was beaten while she was pregnant with me almost everyday , after that I had to run into fights between them because he tried to k** her. So my Central nervous system needs constant slowing down.
What are you trying so far to get back to a somewhat "normal" state?

I never used to get mad over anything. People could hurt me and i reacted but never really got upset. Always stayed calm. In the last few years i ve been called agressive too. I get angry and upset very easily.
Im sorry you had to grow up like that. It must have been hard. I had one time as a kid my brother lost it and treatened my mom and wrecked the house completely. I had to listen to it with my sister. My neighbour stopped us from going in. Still feel guilty.
I really don't know how to get back to normal. At the moment i am avoiding everyone and everything. I am in a really bad place myself right now so i am sorry i have no advice.

BUT I have this issue with "adrenaline rush" during confronting someone.
I used to get this too - even before my trauma. I think it's a pretty typical response for anxious people as well as people with trauma. I don't get it very badly IRL much anymore for some reason - maybe I just stopped caring as much - but I still get it when I fight with people over the internet.

maybe I just stopped caring as much - but I still get it when I fight with people over the internet.

Thanks Somerandomguy! I know what you mean....
Not caring much is maybe a progress?
I am emotionally quite unstable right now. As a kid when another kid hit me I use to always fight back with my fists... I was bought up saying if someone kicks a** always Do something to show that you have power... the only thing is that this doesnt always serve me good and I usually end up feeling miserable.

Do something to show that you have power... t

I dont abuse others....sorry if this sounded strange. Just trying to learn how to be assertive in a good way.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a simple trick, but try pitching your voice.

Higher or lower doesn’t really matter. As long as you’re not getting all girly high or mannish low (which both convey tones). Just a half step higher than you usually speak, or a half step lower.

It adds a filter of control, which is often enough to sooth both internal anxiety, and to project calm authority instead of emotionally coloured/shaky/wavery.

Thank you Friday. As always with clarity.

If you know a simple trick to stop the heart race plus the shallow breathing? :-)

Thanks and TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back