• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling Unnaturally Happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iyllsa

Confident
Can antidepressants cause you to feel unnaturally happy?

I only recently started to consider taking medication(last time I did it was forced and I ended up fully rebelling against the idea) and just when I'm about to think medication can be helpful and it won't change who I am, a friend of mine who increased her dose said she felt uncomfortable. She felt happy but it was unnatural and she didn't like it. She couldn't control how happy she was.

I have always been paranoid about medication for as long as I can remember. I'm such a hypocrite. I always suggest it to people who are really "bad" because I know it can help people and especially if I care for them.

But when it comes to myself, I get so worried it's going to change my brain, I'll lose my sense of me, I'll be changed by the pills that I won't be.. "conscious" or "able" enough to tell someone that it's not real. I get this scary image where I'm smiling/laughing and genuinely happy but still feeling depressed and am unable to feel it when I need to cry.

I feel like I'm slowly going back to my fear of medication and I don't want to because I also believe they could really help me. Especially how I am now and my level of function..

hey. i'm med-standoffish too.

TLDR: give meds a careful, thoughtful try. You're still "you', you're just Not Scared Of Everything. Keep a bare-bones mood journal. and talk to psychiatrist sorta-regularly. If one med doesn't work, the next might... or might not, but you won't know without trying. And there's no 'medication black hole' where you take a pill and GONE. Doesn't happen.
--- --- ---
Medication doesn't turn on or turn off personality. Medication nudges a mood in a direction. The intensity of the 'nudge' depends on the person, the medication, and the dosage.

Everyone is different, so it can take a while to find the right medication, or find the right dosage for that medication.

Here's an example: Me, on quetiapine (an anti-psychotic)
Month 0: I'm a miserable wreck.
Month 1: small dose. Made me manic.
Month 2-4: Larger dose. It's working! I feel good, and I can go outside, do some grocery shopping. But my mind's a bit fuzzy...
Month 5: Realize the meds have turned off half my brain. Cognitive flexibility and problem solving are gone. I need those. Panic. Give me my brain back!
Month 6: Start dialing back the meds. Gettin' better...
Month 7: Dialed back further, until it's just a little at night for sleeping, and a little when things are very upsetting.

But that's not a failure! For 6 months I wasn't miserable, and I had a med to 'lean on' during some rough events. It was very helpful. We know more about my illness, and... I didn't fall apart for months! Not awful.

Me 'n' psychiatrist are still looking for a more appropriate medication. I'm not optimistic. But I'll keep trying, because if I could feel 'better' on my own, I already would.

There's negatives, too. I wanted a different medication to work Very Much, and when negative symptoms appeared, i tried to suck it up and get through it. Don't do that. Just because the psychiatrist isn't seeing me for 3 months doesn't mean the meds can't be Very Bad, Very Soon.

Can antidepressants cause you to feel unnaturally happy?

I only recently started to consider taking me...

And I completely missed the purpose of the question. Try again:

Short Answer: No. Meds are not going to turn you into Barbie with a plastic smile. Although it might feel strange to Not be miserable all the time.

Longer Answer: No. Meds aren't happy pills. Meds help your brain produce the same chemicals as usual, but in higher amounts, and usually for longer. And the 'happy' chemicals don't turn off everything else. You wouldn't feel 'happy' about stubbing a toe - it would HURT. You'd be angry, you'd get over it. And maybe go to the ER for a broken toe.

Also: congrats for discussing meds. Scares hell out of lots of people - I think it's because media/entertainment portray medication as shameful/negative. Doesn't have to be.

(Sigh. I need to buy the 'edit' function.)

No. Meds aren't happy pills.

I understood this and truly believed this. In fact I even corrected people who believed they were "happy pills" and believed they were bad for you. I told them that it was just the media and other people ruining the image of the pills..

but now I feel like I'm kind of going back to my paranoid thinking. Logically I know that my friend's body was just trying to adjust and I know she may have also felt a bit drowsy which made her feel unnaturally happy.. but I can't shake the thought.

On Saturday I have my meeting with my therapist and I still want to discuss medication with her but I feel hesitant and I feel like it might not even happen.. she still thinks I'm not depressed and I'll have to tell her that I've been feeling depressed again ever since December and even a bit in November or a few months before. I forgot I felt a bit depressed but I've been taking note. I looked back and saw what I've written down. My memory is bad so it felt like it wasn't real, but I knew I wouldn't believe it so I took photos of myself when i was really sad like if I was crying or something.. I know that's weird, but it helps convince myself I guess.

it's pretty trippy seeing a picture of myself in tears and not having any memory of it.

Logically I know that my friend's body was just trying to adjust and I know she may have also felt a bit drowsy which made her feel unnaturally happy.. but I can't shake the thought.
You are putting too much stock in your friends reported experience.

There are some very heavy psychiatric drugs - and if they are meant to slow you down, they will. If they are meant to dull you out, they will. Some people need those meds.

There's a whole spectrum of very light drugs. Some people have bad experiences with them, but the majority have either a positive or neutral experience.

There's an industry that continues to try and invent more and more specific drugs. On the science side, this is generally done for good, scientific reasons. But those scientists often depend upon the support of large labs - and so, the labs have an interest in recouping their costs. And this turns into, a lot of drugs seem like they are only being made to make money for the pharmaceutical industry. That's a true thing.

But not all drugs are really only there for profit. Many, many drugs help many, many people.

Your friend is on a specific medication that was given to her by her doctor, based on the doctors observation and your friend's reported symptoms.

I doubt that your doctor says that you are not depressed, if you say you are. What your doctor is most likely saying is that medication will not help you with the symptoms you are trying to alleviate. And unless you are having therapy with a prescribing physician...your therapist is only as qualified as their experience makes them, in terms of being able to recommend that you look into meds with an actual doctor, or not. Your therapist cannot prescribe. What is their clinical license? (the letters after their name).

I feel like I'm slowly going back to my fear of medication and I don't want to because I also believe they could really help me. Especially how I am now and my level of function..
Can you write more about how they would help you? What are you trying to address?

You are putting too much stock in your friends reported experience.

There are some very heavy psych...

I know you're right. I understand that she doesn't take the typical antidepressant and I know the tone instance doesn't mean it's the same for everyone or every day. I understand that at first, for some drugs, I may feel a bit weird as my body adjusts.

And don't get me wrong. As much as it scares me a bit, I'd rather her be happy and lighter than to be depressed. I'd rather her be forced into that so she can better handle the situation she's in rather than be depressed, unmotivated, and have a distorted way of thinking.

Your friend is on a specific medication that was given to her by her doctor, based on the doctors observation and your friend's reported symptoms.

I understand this too. Sorry if I made it seem like I was doubting the judgement of her doctor. I do believe that for the most part doctors know what they're doing and will work with their patients to figure out the correct dosage/medication.

I also know that if I were to start medication I can always talk to my doctor and they would help me. Logically, I know things will most likely be okay and if I can't handle the side effects then all I need to do is stop, basically.

I doubt that your doctor says that you are not depressed, if you say you are. What your doctor is most likely saying is that medication will not help you with the symptoms you are trying to alleviate.

Sorry I don't think I said a doctor told me I wasn't depressed..? When I was younger I was severely depressed. I was prescribed medication and was in therapy as well, but I didn't want to do therapy or anything at that time. I took maybe a pill (split in half, two days.) and threw the rest out. The pill was snuck into my food and the second day I realized because it wasn't well hidden as the first day.

And unless you are having therapy with a prescribing physician...your therapist is only as qualified as their experience makes them, in terms of being able to recommend that you look into meds with an actual doctor, or not. Your therapist cannot prescribe.

Yes you're right. Sorry I keep typing these things at times I'm not thinking clearly so I think my wording is off or something.. so I'm sorry if I'm giving the wrong message. I know my therapist can't prescribe medication and I don't expect her to. I plan to speak with her about what she thinks about the matter and if she could help me find resources where I can get to a psychiatrist that can help me, and further discuss medication and continue on with my progress. She has MA and LMFT after her name. To be honest, I'm not sure what that means. I looked it up but other than that..

When I found her I spoke with her because I felt I badly needed a therapist and I'm glad I got one to at least speak with because stuff got worse a few months after. It really helps and for the first time in my life I actually look forward to therapy, even if I had a bad experience beforehand.

I will answer the last bit in a while.

Sorry I don't think I said a doctor told me I wasn't depressed..?
I was responding to this:
On Saturday I have my meeting with my therapist and I still want to discuss medication with her but I feel hesitant and I feel like it might not even happen.. she still thinks I'm not depressed and I'll have to tell her that I've been feeling depressed again ever since December and even a bit in November or a few months before.
As to this:
She has MA and LMFT after her name. To be honest, I'm not sure what that means. I looked it up but other than that..
It means she has a Masters degree, and is a Licenced Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT). That doesn't actually mean much, in terms of what she is qualified to treat - different states have different licensing requirements, and there are many different reasons why therapists choose their licensing route. In other words - that doesn't mean she's only 'allowed' to be a couples and family counselor.

But she doesn't have a clinical license, so she likely cant diagnose...it depends on your state. But you understand that you'd need to go to a doctor for meds, that's great - that was my only point. And if your therapist is working for you, that's great too! It's hard to find one that works.

I was responding to this:

As to this:
It means she has a Masters degree, and is a Licenced Marriag...

Ooh okay. Sorry about that. When I was saying she doesn't think I'm still depressed, it's because I only told her I was depressed when a few days prior I thought about jumping off a bridge haha. When it got serious enough that I realized I probably should mention it to her.. but I felt depressed months before and it's been a month since I told her that(I think) and I still feel pretty depressed. At the time I didn't talk about medication with her. I think in the very beginning she did and I told her I wasn't sure about it since in the past I was pretty paranoid/worried about it.

I'm not as worried about it now even though I had a bout of concern earlier..

I know the tone instance

Looking back at my past reply.. I have no idea what I was trying to say, sorry. A migraine was starting at around that time along with intrusive thoughts.. maybe I typed down what I heard or something.

Can you write more about how they would help you? What are you trying to address?

I am not sure about my depression, but I think I'm being "inappropriately depressed" in the sense that right now I'm doing okay. There are stressors but that's normal and it's nothing that bad, I think. But despite all that I still feel depressed, some days worse than others, and I'll just feel empty. My appetite is back to being pretty bad.

But the one that made me really consider medication would probably be my anxieties.. sorry I'm starting to feel dissociated so my answers may not be accurate or written clearly. I get paranoid of things and now that I'm back in classes my anxieties have gone up again. I keep dissociating more and I wake up with anxiety or will have panic attacks.

I've also noticed I blank out a lot more and I don't know if it's due to dissociation or something else. Just earlier today. I was texting my friend and I had a timer set for 20 minutes. To take advil for my migraine, but when the timer set off I thought it's only been 5 minutes. Then another 20-30 minutes later I find myself in a cafe with a drink in front of me.. I don't remember getting here. This isn't something new in the sense that it started last week. It's been maybe.. a few months to half a year. I don't remember.

I'd also want something to help me with my OCD, especially the mindless compulsions I have. They hurt a lot but I can't help it. And bad intrusive thoughts. I don't know if that's part of PTSD or OCD. Maybe both. I don't know.

I am not a doctor or psychologist and not offering any medical or legal advice. I have the "hard experience" from having a wife who takes 17 prescribed medicines from her doctors due to extensive medical history and advanced heart disease, among other things. I am merely giving my opinion based upon those "hard experiences" since the issue of medication comes up all of the time during the waking hours I am here in the home with her (while not away working and not sleeping).

Medicines can help permanently cure problems sometimes only when used in a very limited way for the temporary problem that needs curing. Most of the time, most medicines seem to cure one symptom and create 7 other symptoms, especially in the case of people with chronic problems, which explains why I avoid medicines unless they are absolutely necessary (I do say this even though I take a small dose of a thyroid medicine and for an overactive thyroid but am otherwise healthy. Medicine can cause side effects and other complications as well which is why I avoid medicines unless I absolutely have to take them.

In my opinion, I would recommend people take medication only to get functional in an area of their body or mind that has significant dysfunction (and no function can be obtained otherwise). Even here, use caution. It isn't just about what you take and what dosage you take. It gets down to how many pills and how much space in time between dosages. Then, there is always managing the medicine so you always have enough in the event of those odd days (i.e. they give you a fill for 30 days in a 31 day month, etc...) Then there are the variables with medicine- how does it really make you feel? Are you alert and full of life on it- or something else? Do you react to this medicine? Any allergies?

There are financial issues and the expenses for medicine and the doctor visit to get the prescriptions, etc... also. The key is to make sure you have a doctor that diagnoses you correctly and ask if you really need the medicine and why. You also know for yourself when you are not functioning without it. Oddly enough, on the other hand, if you take medicine and it makes you non functional to the point where other people have to personally intervene with you in life to get you functional again, you eventually realize this also because at this point, you become so dependent on the medicine, you set your clock by it. You want to be certain within reason that you do not fall into either of these extremes. Instead, you want to be in between the extremes and manage your medicine if you take it. You should follow a schedule and make certain not to take medicine way too late or too early, take as directed or instructed, and avoid taking too much.

Only you know your body and mind. You know if you need just counseling or medicine for the psychological element. This is also true for your body. The key is your quality of life and being functional in your life with as full awareness as possible. You should not settle for anything less than being comfortable, especially with your body and mind, with no symptoms and feeling good (in the relative sense of the word). Maximize as much of the good feeling as possible and delay the tendencies for the body to fall apart with age for as long as possible.

In order to accomplish this, be educated about what you put into your body- especially medicine. Avoiding medicine most of the time is not a bad thing and shows you are actually respecting your body and mind. Take it and get a doctor only if you are sick and really need it. If you are healthy and you don't, you most likely do not need it.

Bear this in mind. Once you go the way of medicine (when there are other remedies available in a homeopathic, organic, or natural sense or found in foods or supplements), you are generally relegated to that for quite sometimes- even in some cases for life. Most doctors and the broken healthcare system are in it for the money (even when and if they misdiagnose you). Those with a caring and compassionate doctor are very lucky. They do a good job. I am more concerned about most people who cannot afford medical care anyway that have medical professionals see them as a meal ticket instead of really fixing problems (or see the patients as having internal organs as "spare parts" for harvesting). In my experiences, I have also seen the patients who lie to doctors about their lifestyle or something related to a symptom they are having because they are forgetful, embarrassed, or trying to cover up something which can lead to misdiagnosis of a problem. Bottom line- medicine is regarded as a business and is a revenue
generating game with no apparent guarantees about the outcome for you. Be aware of this. This is true fact.

I realize I went off on a tangent here in order to cover the bases regarding medicine, doctors, and the practice of healthcare and the system nowadays here in the United States, which is a complicated, convoluted, lengthy, and expensive process. An average ER visit takes six hours. It takes another hour or two for a doctor visit and at least an hour to fill a prescription and that's just getting you started on getting well (if medical insurance covers most of it). Don't get me started on medical insurance- that's a really long and hot topic- especially at this time.

The main issue is you have to be aware of how your health is yourself and trust what you know to be true. The others have to earn my trust since I have seen the good and the bad and survived through it all. Just make sure your health and quality of life are as optimum as possible. You can manage symptoms to make you functional if you are sick long term, but you need to focus on fixing what's wrong and what the cause of the symptoms truly are. Just be alert and be the best advocate you can for your care. It also helps to have trusted friends or family there for you. That support system really helps a lot too.

Hope the information truly helps. Be in and remain in good health.

Sincerely,

The Snowy Owl

Okay-let me unpack.

1-you sound pretty scattered and like you're having some pretty harsh issues.

2-Medicine as a revenue for doctors depends largely on the doctor your seeing-even then it's not what you think.

It is NOT a revenue stream in the sense that "Big Pharma is trying to get you hooked for your mad cash!" NO. Just NO. Yes, I can explain why this kind of thought is cognitive dissonance, but it's long and I'll just say NO unless you really want to know the nitty gritty explanation of why it's idiocy-I'm using strong terms because this kind of thinking has gotten people killed.

3-You're not the only one who has been paranoid about meds. I had a family member who was/is a junkie. Meds have, however, given me at least part of my life back-which is big step from where I was-huddled in a room reading or sleeping, only leaving to use the bathroom and eating nearly nothing.

4-The right meds do not make you feel anything but more yourself. They make you *you* again. If that's nto what you feel, it's the wrong meds and you need to talk to your doctor about getting them changed. If you don't trust your doctor to work with you on it, you need a better doctor.

5-The right doctor is *essential* to the process of getting your life back. Not someone who will say "yes" to you, but someone who you trust and respect to make decisions *with* you. Mine (my fourth one in the seeking-mostly because the others retired, moved practices or other) is amazing. She understood my unwillingness at the beginning and made a deal for me to try things and let me decide what worked and what didn't. She listens and advises, and knows when to push and when it's too much. It's exactly what I needed.

6-Meds aren't supposed to work alone. Granted I haven't seen a therapist in a while, but that's because my community doesn't have a lot of non military PTSD therapists (for a umber of complicated reasons I won't get into). I do however, have a husband who's familiar with mental illness who is supportive and is willing to talk with me and help me through my issues. he isn't licensed but he's probably the next best thing. <3

7-Psychiatric assessments are scary, but you should try for one. Mine scared the bejesus out of me and I never want to do that again-but I highly doubt yours would be conducted in a run down leftover room with belted beds stored in the corner and paint peeling. They really *really* should have used a different room for mine, but I expect it was all they had available for privacy at the time. Damn that was a freaky room. *shudder*

8-It really really sounds like you could benefit from meds. With how you write, what you write and your concerns...you're pretty disjointed and confused and twisted up. DON'T self medicate-it *will* make it worse. DO so with a doctor and a therapist.

I think medication could help you with keeping your train of thoughts clearer, helping you speak more clearly about what's bothering you, and give you a chance to steady out enough to untangle whatever it is that has you in snarls.

You seem like you're having the issue where your train of thought is not only jumping the tracks, but forgetting where the tracks were before it jumped. Not good juju. Usually it's a sign that somethign serious is going on. You're pretty fragmented, distracted and have poor memory and emotional issues. That's usually a sign that some meds, even for a short time, might help you deal.

9-No. You don't have to be on meds for life. That's an old practice. A lot of newer doctors would rather you get off them if you can. The new method is to have meds as an assist while you use therapy to unravel the source of the issue. The meds are only to help you be able to cope with the process of fixing the issue.

Now-this is not necessarily true with CPTSD-given it's long term roots and physical side effects (mostly on brain biology)-Multiple instance PTSD-where trauma is repeated over years-can cause some permanent brain changes. In those cases, however, your meds are often tailored to offset those issues. Think of it like a brain brace or supplements for a nutritional deficiency. They're to help things operate as they normally should, when your brain naturally can't.

10-the last and most important thing: YOU. Never forget your agency in this. You have the final call. You get to say yes or no. You get to decide what is right and what isn't. Meds will not take that away. You can decide if something doesn't feel right, if you're uncomfortable to the point of not continuing and what you're willing to try. You have the ultimate agency over your well being.

Take care of yourself, and if needed, don't forget that downtime can be a life saver.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back