• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fighters Not Quitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
Recently the forum seems to have a load of 'woe is me' kind of stories in it. I know this is where people are at this moment for them but I'm personally kind of fed up with it. I sometimes feel people are manipulative and overly needy, not of me but in general of other people here. I dont respond sometimes, I dont have to and I dont have to read all of it. I dont like seeing people wallowing in self pity and expecting the forum to be some sort of magic wand that will end their problems. This isn't because I'm uncomfortable with it, its just that I see it. I also see a load of people that are here for a reason. That reason being to improve and work out a way of dealing with their PTSD. IMO I think we all need to respect each other more and offer more solutions and ideas and experiences rather than sympathy or 'your trauma isn't as bad as mine' sort of responses. At the moment the forum feels such a negative place and PTSD is negative enough. I'm not saying its wrong to voice it here. Its not but there is good stuff too. There IS progress and we are all winning mini wars in our own ways every day.

I dont expect everyone to agree with this, its my opinion and not directed at any indivdual, but I've thought it for a while and decided to voice it.

Clarie, I was not participating here for a while, but what you wrote is probably not a very new thing. I think it is also common in other places. Thing is, many people expect some kind of magic effect form the Forum or from therapy. Probably something like the effect of antibiotic on infection we get. Infortunatelly, there are no antibiotics invented for mental problems. This is all about hard work from the person affected. Other people, like the forum participants or even therapists, can help and guide, but can not give a complete and easy solution.

I don't try to say that my problems are worse than others as I have clearly seen others in here that make mine look pretty mild. They are, of course, in my prayers.
I post here mostly to get out how I feel. Feedback is always a plus, but the important thing is getting it out.

I feel that writing it out, expressing my feelings and then reading it, and getting feedback from others, is just another way for me to release the trauma, like talk therapy.

Claire,

I think you are correct - everyone is in a different "place". I don't think you can get out of negative feelings without expressing them and getting feedback - not that they will suddenly go away - it takes time. So I would suspect that there will always be some people (myself included) struggling at any given time. IMHO that does not make them quitters - just people working through a process that is very difficult to go through... at there own speed.

I suspect part of the negativity you are seeing is the time of year - many people, PTSD or not have difficulty dealing with the stess of the holidays. As I said .. Just my opinion.

Zoe

Yes, good point Zoe. I'm sure the holidays are difficult for many here. The title I chose didn't mean that people that expressed difficulties were quitters. We are all fighting NOT quitting just by being here and trying to work on stuff.

I agree Veiled, that Zoe made a very good point. I also feel this way. It's a PTSD board. We all have problems and need to vent, whine, moan and groan at times.

It may be my day tomorrow, or little bo peeps, but I feel that we are entitled to vent when needed, and sometimes just have a ME day!!!! Just my opinion.

it actually makes me feel really good when i can give positive feedback and maybe help someone feel better. although i have to admit that i have been shying away from the board a bit, just because reading some of the more stressful posts makes me feel anxious, but i think that goes with the territory. like she-cat said, tomorrow might be my day.

I think for me that it's great to be able to reach out, no matter which way you're reaching. Giving feedback is just as important as getting it. It kinda keeps me balanced ya know. I sure don't want to be thought of as a whiner, nor do I wish to be a guru. I just want to be a part of something. I can't do that alone. By the way, I think this is a great topic. It really makes me look at myself and my motives. I find that helpful.

Ouch.

I think (as stated above) people should be able to write whatever they would like on here.....I thought this was about venting and such? It's a PTSD website...what did you even think was going to be on here? This often is the 1st place people find to be able to express the intense pain they have been going through.....It's going to be depressing.

Perhaps I was wrong....

Or maybe you should follow what you wrote and watch what you read....eh?

I really don't think there was any reason for that tone Emoxx. Claire also has a right to express how she sees something or how she feels. There is no reason to be sarcastic and rude towards her for it.

bec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back