• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Finding Good From the Past, and Keeping it as a Positive Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent my childhood looking for an escape from my home, parents and siblings. I started going for a run as an excuse to leave and began going for long 2-5 mile or longer runs as a tween. By middle school I was winning races for my age group and until injuries sidelined me a few years ago I continued to use distance running as a way to escape, to gain privacy and solace.

Yeah, I'm finding that some of the things I learned as a child had dual functions-one was protective/or a means of escape and the other was pure pleasure. Gotta tell you, I wish I had been a runner.....I'd like to have that skill, but I don't think I'll start in my 60s.

Not sure how i forgot this one- probably because I haven't made any for awhile ....

Cookies!
even in the middle of trauma when i was a little kid my aunt would sneakily teach me how to bake cookies.
It's one thing from back then that didn't get tainted from all the other crap I've gone through.

When i was older I use to bake cookies with my daughter all the time. It was 'our' thing for awhile. Helps that my ex can't bake for shit.
And I make cookies with my youngest kids still- like today, we're making cookies.

I know it's pretty lame but cookies are still my go to 'happy place'

I'm all about peanut butter cookies (you don't see them now like you did because of allergies) but I just love good homemade peanut butter cookies.....choc. chip is good, and oatmeal with nuts....yum. I'm on a new eating plan to lose 20 lbs.....I probably shouldn't be talking about cookies.....but yes, hot cookies out of the oven! A winner.

I wish I had been a runner.....I'd like to have that skill, but I don't think I'll start in my 60s.

You don't need skill, you already know how to do it :-)

Assuming you don't have a physical limitation I know several who started in their 60's.

Met a guy at mile 16 awhile back and he was running his first marathon at 68. Then I was passed by a 72 yo woman who beat my time by a large margin.

I am not making this up, LOL they still inspire me :-)

Whirlwind

You don't need skill, you already know how to do it :)

Assuming you don't have a physical limitation I know several who started in their 60's.

Met a guy at mile 16 awhile back and he was running his first marathon at 68. Then I was passed by a 72 yo woman who beat my time by a large margin.

I am not making this up, LOL they still inspire me :)

Whirlwind

Running has never been something I was good at......I can swim forever....but running is really hard. I can't skip either.....maybe 3 times.

I wish I had been a runner.....I'd like to have that skill, but I don't think I'll start in my 60s.
I recently found a book that you might find useful if you are serious about considering being a runner. It's called Running that Doesn't Suck, for people that think they hate running.

so, do you still ride horses, have a horse or two, go biking with friends, swim kinda regularly or do the beach in the summers, and listen/make music? Do you keep up with some things that brought joy in the past?

I haven't been able to afford riding recently, but I want to make time for it and space in my budget. Lessons are so expensive and I'm paying for school at the moment. My trainer said I could just come exercise the horses if I wanted but I have a hip injury that can make it painful so I have to be careful. I go biking with family which is fun! I have a membership to a gym with a pool and when we move we're looking for a house with a pool so I'm excited about being able to swim daily. Music I try to see a live band once a month, and I play piano and guitar frequently!! It helps SO much when I'm in a depressive episode. The beach I haven't made it to. I work in the summer all the time and have trouble driving long distances (ocean is 2-3 hours away, when we move I'll be 15 minutes to the beach!!)

I haven't been able to afford riding recently, but I want to make time for it and space in my budget. Lessons are so expensive and I'm paying for school at the moment. My trainer said I could just come exercise the horses if I wanted but I have a hip injury that can make it painful so I have to be careful. I go biking with family which is fun! I have a membership to a gym with a pool and when we move we're looking for a house with a pool so I'm excited about being able to swim daily. Music I try to see a live band once a month, and I play piano and guitar frequently!! It helps SO much when I'm in a depressive episode. The beach I haven't made it to. I work in the summer all the time and have trouble driving long distances (ocean is 2-3 hours away, when we move I'll be 15 minutes to the beach!!)

Sounds like you have your positives to look forward to that can really help when those down periods in our life show up-usually at the worst time, too. It also sounds like you set yourself up to intentionally do fun things.....I've been doing the same, and that has helped so much with acquiring a more balanced life (more enjoyment, less PTSD symptoms). Way to go!!!

I recently found a book that you might find useful if you are serious about considering being a runner. It's called Running that Doesn't Suck, for people that think they hate running.

I'll have to give it a go, maybe I can access the book at Amazon. Thank you for your thoughtfulness on this.....running could be beneficial....(this skill is needed when I go doing wildlife photography......and become a goober.....getting too close for comfort...I work really hard not to be chased away by irritated animals..... requires being fast on foot when it happens....I could be in better shape for when that happens. I'm going to photograph in Africa...those animals are bigger and faster. ;)

I'll have to give it a go, maybe I can access the book at Amazon. Thank you for your thoughtfulness on this.....running could be beneficial....(this skill is needed when I go doing wildlife photography......and become a goober.....getting too close for comfort...I work really hard not to be chased away by irritated animals..... requires being fast on foot when it happens....I could be in better shape for when that happens. I'm going to photograph in Africa...those animals are bigger and faster. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back