• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Finding ptsd risk indicators in your raw dna data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetleaf

MyPTSD Pro
So all I have is ancestry DNA data, though in the future I'd love to get more elaborate testing done, or at least add things like 23andme, etc.

I ran it through promethease, and saw some interesting things when I looked into things that had to do with PTSD. I haven't looked into very much, just because there's so much to look into, and there is so much cool shit that has nothing to do with PTSD - like it shows that I have the genes for heightened odds of photic sneeze reflex, which is cool because I am actually a photic sneezer, so it's cool to see that turn up.

When I filtered for genes that have to do with PTSD, I found that I have some genes that increase risk for PTSD, or at least some that are specifically labeled as having that risk associated with them. These mostly have to do with memory. I can get more detailed if anyone wants. (that goes for anything in this post)

I also typed in "hippocamp" into the search function to find anything to do with the hippocampus (used "hippocamp" so that "hippocampal" would also show up)

There are 18 results that say I have genes associated with hippocampal atrophy (over half of the search results)
There are 6 results saying I have genes for reduced hippocampus volume.
The rest is like, bipolar/schizophrenia risk stuff, and seizure risk stuff, and alzheimers risk stuff.
Here's one of those that struck my eye:
rs7294919 showed a particularly strong link to a reduced hippocampus volume, suggesting that this gene is very important to hippocampus development or health.
But there are multiple things on this saying "you have genes for smaller hippocampal volume"

Isn't PTSD associated with smaller hippocampal volumes?

Just food for thought. I kinda take all this gene shit with a grain of salt, but it's interesting nonetheless. My pdoc's other job has to do with this kind of stuff, it's going to be really interesting to talk with her about this. She was suggesting I use promethease to look into my folate related genes (turns out I have "1 copy of C677T allele of MTHFR" which is supposed to cause 65% efficiency in processing folic acid, makes sense that my methylfolate supplements are making me feel better)

Anybody else looked into their genes? Particularly to see if there's anything related to increased PTSD chance? What are your thoughts on this kind of stuff?

Hmmm...I had this testing done at my pain doctor's a few months back. I have not looked into it yet, to see what the results are. Sometimes, even easy things to follow through on like just looking at the results overload me. But, you have piqued my interest. I will see if I can get onto the site and see what my testing showed.

Yeah it is some interesting stuff lol. Kind of glad I had nothing come up that was too shitty, lol. Highest magnitude thing is 4 so that's good.

I just looked into genes related to increased risk of panic disorder and anxiety disorders and I have a lot of genes upping the chances of anxiety and panic issues >.< makes total sense

I'm diagnosed with panic disorder on top of PTSD. It's crazy to see a higher risk for it in my genes.

I am not so sure I want to know anymore. I know that sounds cynical but what else have my genes saved up to hit me with...sigh. I don't think I can afford the test anyway. Oh and do you own your genetic history once you have it tested via ancestry?I

I cannot remember when I read about this but I am fairly sure LE used it to assist in a murder investigation/conviction in the US a while back. They didn't find the actual suspect on their data...I think it was a relative who had done their genetic testing and then it got back-tracked to the perpetrator. Handy little way to find a perpetrator. Wonder if that loop-hole has been shut down now.

I am not so sure I want to know anymore. I know that sounds cynical but what else have my genes saved up to hit me with...sigh.
Nothing wrong with not wanting to know.

I think the drug metabolism/reaction stuff is really handy to know, and the rest is kind of like take-it-with-a-grain-of-salt-but-hey-maybe-this-will-be-interesting kind of stuff.
Oh and do you own your genetic history once you have it tested via ancestry?I
I did an ancestry DNA test (which was a gift from my mom), then downloaded my raw DNA data from ancestry, and paid $12 to have promethease make a report that shows me the genes it found in my raw DNA data.

Were you scared with what it might reveal?
I was very slightly nervous but figured if anything really bad turned up, it was for the best that I found out, even if it would be stressful.
I was mostly like, super duper interested to see what it found.
Did your doctor interpret other stuff too?
She mostly looked at psych med metabolism stuff, along with all the highest magnitude stuff I had (I only see her for psych med management, and counseling/EMDR). I know she looked at some other things too but I can't recall exactly what atm. We checked my folate related genes. Can't quite remember what else.

I only even remembered to bring it up part way through the session, when she was trying to talk me into trying a SSRI. So, we didn't really have a whole ton of time to go over it. She was wishing she had her list of genes to check, that she keeps at her other job, so she was just going off of memory. Maybe there will be further looking into it, maybe not. I think we've seen the most important stuff to help manage meds though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back