1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First job

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by joannamagdalena, Oct 28, 2017.

1. joannamagdalena

joannamagdalena New Member

Hi there,

I'm starting my first job next week and I'm so scared because of my PTSD. Since I'd got it, I've been afraid that I won't be able to work normally. When I was studying I knew I could just not take part in some classes or just go home ealier if I felt unwell. Now I won't be able do that things anymore and I feel really badly (even ill).

You guys are the only people whom I can share it with.

EveHarrington and JadesJewel like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you are feeling like that. What is the job you are going to be doing?..

You don't actually know how work is going to be... Till you are right there in that moment. I don't mean to sound harsh... But worrying is a waste of ur energy.

JadesJewel likes this.
  4. joannamagdalena

I'm going to be a business analyst in a bank. The work place and people seem to be nice, my feelings are more general, they don't depend on type of job at all.

JadesJewel likes this.
  5. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

Wow well done... Sounds amazing.
    I understand what you're saying... I'm on medication for PTSD it helps.
    Are you able to get support /help?...
    It really does help....

JadesJewel likes this.
  6. joannamagdalena

I hope that just starting the work will help but I'm so tired because of PTSD. I'm so tired sometimes that I cannot focus on anything and I get nauses, head ache and little vision problems. On the other hand, some of my tiredness passes while I'm focused on something. But I don't see any rules here.

I'm afraid that I will feel badly too often to work w

JadesJewel likes this.
  7. DharmaGirl

DharmaGirl Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member Donated

On the other hand, you might find that work stabilizes you and gives you something to focus on. It's totally normal to have nervous feelings before starting a job, especially a first job. Do you do anything that helps you calm down. Meditate? Breathing exercises. Perhaps you should google some calming exercises. I was able to stay in my job longer than I normally would have because I took 3 5 minute breaks instead of 1 15 minute break, and would do a 5 minute meditation.

JadesJewel likes this.
  8. JadesJewel

JadesJewel Policy Enforcement Banned Premium Member Donated

I have a trauma therapist...who helps me to deal with my real world issues...was wondering do you have a therapist to talk with if/when things get upsetting at work, or when you feel like you are not doing as well as you'd like in this new job venture? Peace and Love.

9. joannamagdalena

I know what you mean and right now I'm able to distinguish the stress which is totally normal before any new situation (and I also feel it from time to time now) and the stress which is caused by PTSD.

I try to meditate and do breathing exercises (unfortunately I still can't do it regularly) and because I don't take any meds it is the only way to calm for me. I need to work on forcing myself to do it every day.

I do have a therapist, last time I don't see her that often (because first I need to earn the money for it), and she's gonna help me with that during first months, but still it's not the same as talking to someone who feels the same as you do.

JadesJewel likes this.
  10. JadesJewel

You can come here as you've done now...and talk, share about your new job...and how you are navigating these new waters...and I will try and be of encouragement and show you support. Peace and Love.

joannamagdalena likes this.
  11. joannamagdalena

It'd be really nice :) I really appreciate it :)

Of course I don't say that my problem is the worst thing from PTSD but I wanted to see someone else's expierience because I thought that many people could(can) have such a problem.

JadesJewel likes this.
  12. JadesJewel

My ptsd issues have permeated every facet of my waking life...so what were the ptsd issues you were having when you were taking classes and studying along with your nausea, headaches, feeling so very tired, and your vision problems? Just curious...that is all. Peace and Love.

13. joannamagdalena

Well, my main problem is that I didn't get PTSD due to one exact incident. So I can feel awful constantly because everything can make me stressed - I can get a little panick attack in any moment (hopefully I know now how to deal with them, so they aren't such a problem instead of making me very tired). But other things, I haven't found any way yet to deal with the rest of my symptoms, one thing can calm me down once and on the other time the same thing can return the symptoms. I think I'm totally lost in this.

JadesJewel likes this.
Show Sidebar