• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Freelance writers/editors/proofreaders/tutors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellSue

Not Active
I know that I read on myptsd that more than one person was freelance writing/editing/proofreading. Would you mind raising your hands again?? I promise not to be an internet jerk but I have some questions about how you navigate the wide, wide world of freelancing with this fragmented condition.

Also, are there any virtual English or writing tutors on here? Again, I'm curious and may have some questions.

I'm an English major from many years ago. Nowadays, I'm a scientist who writes papers and edits/proofreads all the papers produced by my group. I'll raise my hand for editing/proofreading/possibly tutoring!

Thank you both. I should have had the word "freelance" in the title, I think.

I have 50+ graduate credits in writing and English and have decided to seriously pursue freelance writing/editing/proofreading work now that we are done relocating for a while. I also may try to tutor but that would likely be harder for me due to the people factor.

I was a covid layoff in April and started taking freelance writing classes to understand the business side of that with hopes to get serious but we started moving around in July. Now I am thinking about it again but I have a lot of fears that mostly pertain to the freelance aspect. For instance, how can a person with a mental illness handle all that rejection?? And can I find a safe way to social network without feeling like inauthentic or perhaps even paranoid? I tend to feel like a fraud no matter what - I'm not even sure if it's a PTSD thing, but it's definitely a mental health thing.

If you have any insight into either of those things that you wouldn't mind sharing, I am here to learn. I have a lot to figure out in the coming months.

Thanks again.

I understand better! What kind of writing do you want to do? A post-doc from my group transitioned from research to technical writing. Working for a writing agency is an easier start than straight to freelance. I have one friend who successfully freelances, but she worked in the field as a trade journal reporter before switching to freelancing, which made the transition a lot easier.

I understand better! What kind of writing do you want to do? A post-doc from my group transitioned from research to technical writing. Working for a writing agency is an easier start than straight to freelance. I have one friend who successfully freelances, but she worked in the field as a trade journal reporter before switching to freelancing, which made the transition a lot easier.
Sorry about being mysterious -- I have been pretty overwhelmed by questions I have and details that could lead up to questions I ought to have.
I don't have a lot of writing experience outside of school but I did write a winning grant proposal for a newer, small nonprofit, proofread for a small town newspaper/newsletter for a couple of years and worked on my grad school's literary journal for two years as a reviewer, author of the first set of policies and procedures and Chief Editor.

I really wish I had felt secure in my writing ability when I started graduate school because I would have been a lot better off majoring in another subject in order to have a solid specialization but I did not and do not. I really enjoyed writing research papers. I would go back to school and major in neuroscience in a heartbeat. Someday, I hope.

For now, I feel like my best writing is persuasive writing but on the more formal side like proposals. I also really want to try out doing white papers and have some interest in sustainability reports, as well. If I was going to pick a niche (and I am trying to), I think it would be disabilities, sustainability or healthy living in business to business writing.

I finished graduate school just under 3 years ago and ended up working as an auction lister for the Goodwill in a warehouse with 100 people. This got my gears turning in directions other than writing. I mostly focused on writing in school because I didn't think I would recover enough to work around other people. Once I started to, I was curious about all sorts of things. Since the layoff, I have begun to realize that working from home doesn't sound so bad, after all.

I honestly haven't looked into working for a writing agency. I will now. Thank you for that.

I apologize for being so long-winded. I am always this way but am worse when I have lots of things going on in my head - which is also pretty much always.

What science do you work in? You went back to school after being an English major to do that, right?

Freelance proofreader and editor here. Recently started accepting work, since I've been unemployed since March. My biggest issue is finding work. Knowing I do a good job when I have one is what keeps me going.

Freelance proofreader and editor here. Recently started accepting work, since I've been unemployed since March. My biggest issue is finding work. Knowing I do a good job when I have one is what keeps me going.

Thanks for your reply!

I've been doing a lot of research concerning possible directions to go with my writing-related skills. I used to be self-employed and it is so hard. It sounds like you are getting a taste of that. I found that the uncertainty of things brought out my workaholism and ultimately, major bouts of depression. I have some experience and specialized education in grant writing and I would love to see that work but I am just not sure I can handle being self-employed, again.

Do you feel that freelancing has been more or less stressful than your regular work? Have you been accepting work long enough to deal with much rejection? If so, do you have any specific ways that you handle it or is it not that big of a deal for you?

Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated. Several times I have turned back toward looking for an administrative assistant job at a nonprofit that might want help with a grant proposal from time to time just to keep from having to be self-employed. But then, I tell myself that with a solid strategy, which I am working toward and having better self-control than I had when I was self-employed previously, freelancing could work for me.

I am still trying to uncover other options, too. I really want to use my education but with over 60% of writers being self-employed, it looks like I am in for a fight with this.

Do you feel that freelancing has been more or less stressful than your regular work?

Nothing could be more stressful than my regular work. And I really haven't been dealing with freelancing long enough to know if the stress I'm having now is just temporary or not. My greatest stress right now is financial, and I'm struggling with finding work, but I know I can't go back to a "regular" job. I'm not even sure I can even handle any sort of job that requires teamwork.

There is a lot going on right now, including the loss of my only cat today, (after the loss of the first in June), so all of that may be contributing.

How are you looking for jobs?

Nothing could be more stressful than my regular work. And I really haven't been dealing with freelancing long enough to know if the stress I'm having now is just temporary or not. My greatest stress right now is financial, and I'm struggling with finding work, but I know I can't go back to a "regular" job. I'm not even sure I can even handle any sort of job that requires teamwork.

There is a lot going on right now, including the loss of my only cat today, (after the loss of the first in June), so all of that may be contributing.

How are you looking for jobs?

Oh, I am so sorry! Losing pets is so hard. I hope you are able to find a new pet soon. I know that seems abrupt but it's horrible to mourn one alone.

I'm not really looking, yet. I have been browsing and researching but I'm not going to make any real attempts at looking for work for a couple of weeks, at least. We just got to a new address and I've getting us set up, right now.

I'm not really looking, yet. I have been browsing and researching but I'm not going to make any real attempts at looking for work for a couple of weeks, at least.
Wondering if you got started yet?

I don't really struggle with the rejection - I just accept that there will be that, that there has to be since there are a lot of people in the field - but I do have issues with motivation and feeling like I am good enough to do the work.

Wondering if you got started yet?

I don't really struggle with the rejection - I just accept that there will be that, that there has to be since there are a lot of people in the field - but I do have issues with motivation and feeling like I am good enough to do the work.

Honestly, I have not. I have really been struggling with the idea of being self-employed again... I don't want to do it. I've been looking at all sorts of other options, including local government work. Unfortunately, between having a number of injuries and chronic pain situations going on and not having much going for me in the telephone voice department, I am starting to feel a little cornered back toward writing.

I am getting past worrying about rejection and starting to realize that my commitment was to start looking for work on November 1st -- ideally for work I would be able to do given my situation. I have put in some applications but truth be told, writing is the only thing I am confident that I can do.

I feel I am getting closer.

I don't think that most writers out there are all that good these days, anyway, but you seem to be a capable writer to me. I hope that fear doesn't really get to you because there are all sorts of levels out there -- no one gets to be top tier from day one but not everyone has the money for top tier, either. I feel like there really is a huge range of skill level in the paid writer market and I can say for sure already that there are several levels of paid writers that are below your skill level.

Best of luck out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back