• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

From Sensible to Illogical: How Are Other's Around You Changing in this Pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
So, one thing I've noticed about this pandemic is that my well-balanced friends, whom I rely on for advice, some are acting just plain weird....unpredictable as their anxiety is up..... I can't be the only one who is getting unexpected responses from people they rely on..., so I'll share my friends experiences-and you can share and example of weird conflicts that you don't think would happen in a non-pandemic time. Some interactions, when I look back.....are ridiculously funny. Others....the outcome is not so funny.....is is worrisome.

I'll go first:
I started the 10ft Walking Club and invited my friend. My friend A., a true blue rule follower is good with 1 hr. of walking exercise (because the rules say we can) and she and I both are comfortable with 10ft, not 6. I had invited her to my 10ft. Walking Club......because I was in desperate need of exercise, a schedule, and some socialization.....We agree to brown bag dinner afterwards-seated 10-12ft apart. We walked, and that was fine. I had brought my bag. She moves some chairs around outside....looking really anxious... and she tells me she just can't bring herself to "eat" because that's feels like "breaking the rules." So, I said okay.... I climbed in my car, super miffed at an awkward moment, and ate in the car on the way home......Several days later, I that same friend, came to my house for the 10ft Club walk. We had a good walk. When we were finishing up, I said I was collecting wood for my fire ring. I was planning to cook out over the fire....maybe toast some marshmallows...maybe do smores. I was looking for someone hopefully to join me in a couple of weeks- and said, of course 10-12 ft away. The chocolate lover immediately took over.....and most unexpectedly she happily replies, "Well, if we both bring our own stick, marshmallows, and other stuff, I think that would be safe!" I got a chuckle inside that day. When it was chocolate, and she's a major chocolate lover, ...somehow the social rules didn't matter!

I know everyone's cortisol levels are running high, we have lots of people hyper-aroused/hyper-vigilant, and they aren't being really consistent in their logic. You have any experiences of friends, family, or otherwise not making sense, doing things they normally wouldn't, or changing behavior from their usual self.....I'm trying to roll with this.....and expect less right now....from even the most sensible friends. Tell your experience with your own, or other's behaviors....esp. if they aren't being logical from one moment to the next. I'd really like to hear!

Majority of my IRL friends / friends taken as family are some mix of paramilitary, former mil, first responders or public servants...

So friends wise, cool bunch :cool: No big dealio, just more often checks on everybody's well being.

And not-friends are stir cray as usual days, contrary to expectations mostly either continue with the usual shenanigans or shut it for the time's sake as cut off substance & pack support supplies.

So mostly random joes that have me raising eyebrows, and them just expectable panicking, not a everything frenzy panicking, nor bursting out in major violence, so shrug.

Would be different if we had worse infection -> death ratio but where I'm at it's fairly controled & out of public view alike.

I have several friends and they don't really know each other. The friends I saw today already walk an hour a day, in their neighborhood so.. ( I do too walk an hour on a treadmill watching television. I really don't want to walk outside. I am not a people waving person. I'm there to walk.) I don't know but our eyes met and they knew I'm pretty burned out with this virus. I know they are too. Some of my friends are really out and about, right now. I'm only out once in awhile because I need groceries, whateva.

I just ask my non-military or police friends how they feel being on edge. All are like “I don’t like this I am always looking out for people and on edge.” My response is welcome to my normal day. All of them say they don’t know how I walk around like that all jacked up all day. Personally I believe they understand more now after all of this.

My military and police friends are like @Ronin says it’s no big deal just doing their job. I would expect no less of a response because most if not all give up on better jobs to serve others.

Yes, and I think those first responders, those doc and nurses watching people die with no cure, and the constant fear being on the front lines of this medical war.....may end up being subscribers to this forum when it's all over. Sadly, there won't be enough trauma counselors to treat them.

@Ronin, but it is a big deal-and so above and beyond one's job. Service workers (that includes vets) give from their heart....but when they get home, they are like everyone else....scared....vulnerable....frail.

Yes, and I think those first responders, those doc and nurses watching people die with no cure, and the constant fear being on the front lines of this medical war.....may end up being subscribers to this forum when it's all over. Sadly, there won't be enough trauma counselors to treat them.

@Ronin, but it is a big deal-and so above and beyond one's job. Service workers (that includes vets) give from their heart....but when they get home, they are like everyone else....scared....vulnerable....frail.

Surely some will join us. I expect nothing less. You can only take so much for so long before you crack. Plus the adrenaline along all the cortisol release in the brains will burn them out.

As for the first responders/ military they have far more training in dealing with it and resources than do the regular service workers. For the first responders/military it’s more of a cumulative of all the shit we have seen and done.

Last edited:
People in my city nod and smile and thank each other for keeping their distance as they walk. Normally here it is absolutely not the done thing to interact with strangers on the street.

I've noticed a fair few friends on social media are grieving and it's fair enough.

Quite a bit of anger too.

Mr has become nicer, though I'm putting that down to us having the office cat to stay.

That's great! They are use to walking. Here, it's smaller and most people have a car. They tend to walk slow and sometimes I almost at about 3 feet from them! I walk normal to fast!

So, hey fatties! ? Put your dang roller skates on! ( joking)
I envy thin people with high metabolisms and strong muscles and bones. I'm gaining weight and was doing fine until this started; 4 times a week at aerobics....and I'm trying to walk every day.....comfort foods call to me and being here alone, so much harder...had to get them out of the house. Consider fat jokes aren't ever funny when you are overweight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back