• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Functional but symptomatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellSue

Not Active
Like so many, I got a lot of black and white info about mental health when I was a kid. Ultimately, every person with mental health problems should have their own rubber room.

Imagine my confusion when I did real, free grown-up stuff while still struggling with serious PTSD symptoms. And, even more astounding, this neurotic mess continues to become more functional even in the midst of tremendous self-doubt and observable evidence of trauma like frequent poor eye contact and horrible posture. I also have a head that DOES NOT STOP -- but what it is chewing on me about matters a whole lot less than what I am trying to accomplish most of the time these days. It's like walking through an overgrown labyrinth. But I picked up a pair of coveralls somewhere and I get to wear them when I am out there in the world. At home, I get scratched and discouraged but I know when I go back out there, I have some armor.

Anyway, anyway... I am still sort of baffled all these years into this. I am also at a point where I have a number of positives in my life that exist because I have functioned and do function even when I am having symptoms which means that there is a productive life happening here -- perhaps just as productive a life as those belonging to the rubber room builders.

What a crock of shit that was. But that doesn't mean it didn't cause some damage. I thought I had to stop having PTSD or my life was going to be horrible for a long time. I thought I would always feel restrained somehow.

Thank God I live in a world where people have a chance. Thank you all for being here with me to remind me that some of the wisdom passed by generations is actually soul-crushing garbage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back