• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Gender roles and acceptance of anxiety and ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

MyPTSD Pro
I just have been reading a discussion about gender roles on another page... not a ptsd page. There was a commenter who said that the men of today weren‘t what they used to be. I am not old enough to know if this really is the case... and the went on to say that the men of today wore all weather jackets... and that they „hid under the table“.

I am a person who likes men to be manly... but this way of thinking it makes me just sad. Who is „hiding under the table“? Only a man with anxiety issues would do that. Why is this chosen as example for behaviour unbecoming a man?

And allweather jackets. My Vet wears all weather jackets, why does that make him less of a man? I think it shows he is a smart man who does not want to get wet. Why are some conservatives so obsessed with allweather jackets? It is not the first time I see one complaining about them. What is so manly about ending up with pneumonia?

Maybe I do not get that because I am a women and not even really conservative. Why do conservatives expect their men to be perfect, rainproof without having to wear a jacket. Why is a man not allowed to care for himself when he does not want to be seen as unmanly.

I am with a man who (apart from wearing an all weather jacket) sometimes takes lousy care of his needs and has lots of trouble saying he is afraid of something or in need of help. Why is this so difficult for a man?

I post this anonymous because I discuss gender with my friends and am afraid of posting something identifying.

I think there is a lot of meanness directed at men, in general. There, I said it.There are deep reasons for this, none of which are in the best interests of the bulk of humanity. All media is worth examining. Asking; is there evidence to support this claim or might there be a vested interest skewing things for effect, perhaps? What might the agenda be for such hate-filled rhetoric?
Like Socrates is claimed to have said according to Plato "The unexamined life is not worth living".
Gender bias in that way sickens me. The hypocrisy, the mean spiritedness.
I can see why that article would hurt. But you know, there are a lot of a***holes and non thinking people out there. And horrible agendas

I do not think there is really a agenda. At least I do not see any, do you see any. It‘s just „heartless conservatives“ being themselves.
I used to be a liberal but I am not a liberal anymore because it does not make sense to me any longer for a number of reasons... but I do not think I can ever be a conservative because they are just too heartless.
My Vet is leaning towards the conservative spectrum a bit. It must be sad for him that so many conservatives do not respect people who have ptsd.

I think there is a lot of meanness directed at men, in general. There, I said it.There are deep reasons for this, none of which are in the best interests of the bulk of humanity. All media is worth examining.

*applause* (you are awesome).

Men bitching at other men for wearing certain jackets seems... kinda sad. I mean, they are sad. Personally I think that nagging anybody because of the clothes they are wearing, is not masculine either. Perhaps they oughta take a look in the mirror. People should be judged by character. Even if I chose to dress up as a freaking unicorn it would still be about character.

I think men value providing above most things. Not just providing for a partner but being able to provide for themselves. And depending on others doesn´t feel very provider-like so it´s kind of hard to share. But give him space and he will eventually share what´s going on. I think most people just need plenty of space to figure out what´s going on, a bit more so for men than for women.

I do feel like masculinity is devalued in our society. And I don´t mean just by women - I mean by men themselves too. Perhaps because we are trying to redefine what masculinity means. Sadly, a lot of times, "toxic masculinity" is becoming the same as "masculinity" in general, even though it is not the same at all. There is a crusade against toxic masculinity, which I understand, but no backing/growth for positive masculinity. And men and boys need that.

Because the focus is on negative traits. Men who beat women. Men who don´t talk about their feelings. Men, who are stuck in the stone age. A.k.a toxic masculinity.

And I do believe this is a thing. It´s just the negative side of masculinity. The thing is, both masculinity and femininity have negative and positive poles (and gradations in between). However, due to developments in gender (and the role of feminism), the focus now is very much on toxic masculinity, not so much on how to foster a positive sense of masculinity in men. On the other hand, there is very little talk of toxic femininity, if any at all.

I believe that men, in order to be good men, need to know about positive masculinity. Because once you have a true trust in yourself, violence is not necessary. It is men who have issues, who are violent or hanging on to some kind of stone-age archetype. Personally I do not think feminism is the answer for men´s issues. I think gender issues can only be resolved if we look at positive female and positive male qualities.

Men aren't supposed to feel anything, we are stone figures without hearts. When viewing a preview at a movie screening two young adults stand side by side, one girl one boy. Someone kicks both of them between the legs..when the boy gets it the audience roaringly laughed enthusiastically. When the girl gets it, an audible shutter and gasp as the shock was too much. I couldn't help thinking how backwards that seemed. I mean the boy has testicles that really hurt.

I just wonder is any of you is a conservative and can explain this to me from a conservative view point. Why are conservatives so unrelated about men being weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back