• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Get 9 of your ptsd stolen life years back through extreme exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, my wife recently asked me, "why do you have to push yourself sooo hard?"

Not an easy answer.
I believe exercise releases all of those good chemicals that counter anxiety and depression, plus, damn, it feels good to tackle a tall mountain or long bike ride. I took on the challenge and accomplished it. I drop a lot of F bombs on the way, or tell myself Im never doing that again, but it feels so good when I stop! ;)

Exercise yields positive results w or w out PTSD and "extreme" is relative to one's personal norm.

I did notice the bar on what they consider 'high' levels of exercise is set pretty low. 30 to 40 minutes of jogging 5 times a week is pretty doable.

I do hate that so many of these types of studies seem to concentrate on running. My knees are shot from running in combat boots for so many years.

My cells may be 9 years younger, but my joints are about 90 years older.
I swim and do deep water running and nothing extreme - so my joints are ok and maybe I only have 4.5 years back

I did notice the bar on what they consider 'high' levels of exercise is set pretty low. 30 to 40 minute...
I put people on to deep water running - no joint issues - you don't get exhausted like with a run but your muscles get a workout.I have had a couple of people join me and its so nice to be able to have a conversation with a total stranger with none of the usual anxieties and attibutions - calming affect of water

Last edited by a moderator:
Exercise, absolutely. Extreme exercise maybe not so much. Yes you want to release the serotonin and feel better but pushing yourself to the extreme can be counterproductive. Don't forget about all that cortisol flooding your system because the switch is stuck on. Pushing yourself beyond limits your body is ready for, which is different for everyone, can send distress signals to the brain. Trying to sleep sitting up with various pillows at different angles, while wearing carpel tunnel braces on both arms, planterfacitous braces on both legs and an airplane U-shaped pillow around your neck when the inflammation roars through your body is more likely then adding years to your life.

Just my thoughts.

I have low 24 hour cortisol and suppressed under stress,my understanding normally if you are under acute or chronic stress you have high cortisol but if you have PTSD you have the unexpected low and suppressed levels ( but then again because we are reactive its not clear all the time)- and yes high levels of inflammation ( though apparently inflammation (CRH) drops if we watch trauma related stimuli - poor you @Alice.in.Wonderland I thought one plantar fascia and tennis elbow were bad but your situation sounds very sucky am sure the loss of good sleep can't be good.

am sure the loss of good sleep can't be good.

I just saw this @eloc

I have never been a “good sleeper” I often wake myself up trying to shout something. I have been told that I cry out even if I don’t wake myself up.

The inflammation that seems to flood through my whole body didn’t start until I lost my husband several years ago. There were other health issues I was unaware of.

I mention this because I think it is very important to go to a doctor if anyone is having physical pain.

The only major addiction I ever had was one of over exercising. I would go run or play basketball until my hands were literally ripping from the cold and my muscles started messing up :/

Endorphins, I guess.

Now I'm trying to get back into exercise, but am trying to do it slowly.

(Also, cool you're from Pakistan! Just noticed the flag)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back