• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Getting anxiety from girlfriend being upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syd.vicious

Learning
So recently I have had a few flashbacks and anxiety attacks when my girlfriend has done some things. For example she accidentally pushed against my leg in a weird position and I had a flashback ( I have cptsd). When I came out of it she was crying and really upset and was blaming herself for causing it. Obviously it’s not her fault and I don’t want her to feel bad or even have to watch those things. It wasn’t the first time she had seen me in a flashback but still. But it’s really hard for me to comfort her and ground myself. It tends to make me even more anxious and make panic attacks worse or make me have one when I get out of a flashback because then I feel guilty that she feels guilty. If that makes sense. I’ve tried to discuss that with her but obviously it takes a toll on her to see me in pain and stuff. We’re both 19 and it’s a lot to deal with and I do not want to invalidate her emotions but Idk. Has anyone else felt or dealt with something like this?

Hey, you’re not alone with this. It’s easy to think it’s just you though. So, thanks for taking the time to put it down here because it gives a chance to echo how difficult our past can be when it smacks into the present.

Although my experience in my own relationship is similar, it’s typically sparked by anger, irritation, or frustration observed by me in the other person. It can be directed at me, but doesn’t need to be at all. Can be my partner being irritated that the phone is ringing, or the internet cut out, or some other random thing. It’s simply the slightest expression of those types of emotions that set me into a reaction and that unfortunately sometimes comes with flashbacks too.

I’m sorry you experience this with your girlfriend. This forum is very helpful for getting feedback and ideas on how other people with cptsd manage their symptoms. Also, excellent for seeing you’re not alone or losing it.

Do you have a therapist you can talk to about this?

Hey, you’re not alone with this. It’s easy to think it’s just you though. So, thanks for taking the time to put it down here because it gives a chance to echo how difficult our past can be when it smacks into the present.

Although my experience in my own relationship is similar, it’s typically sparked by anger, irritation, or frustration observed by me in the other person. It can be directed at me, but doesn’t need to be at all. Can be my partner being irritated that the phone is ringing, or the internet cut out, or some other random thing. It’s simply the slightest expression of those types of emotions that set me into a reaction and that unfortunately sometimes comes with flashbacks too.

I’m sorry you experience this with your girlfriend. This forum is very helpful for getting feedback and ideas on how other people with cptsd manage their symptoms. Also, excellent for seeing you’re not alone or losing it.

Do you have a therapist you can talk to about this?
Yes I do and am going to bring it up in my session next week. But I really do appreciate you responding I did just feel very alone in this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back