• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Getting Fit After Long Term Depression? Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasel

Sponsor
Kind of feels like I'm trying to rehabilitate myself after years of abuse, PTSD & depression.

Has anyone else gone about getting fit again after being very immobile for a long time?

I've started with walking, am doing Physio too everyday, to help with 2 injuries. One a long term issue, one caused by my inactivity while depressed.

Was just thinking, I guess stretches are good too to warm up before exercise.
Swimming and cycling are less harsh on joints...
Anyhow, any tips or people who can relate would be cool to hear from
Thanks

Congrats sounds like you have a good starting base. Walking and stretching and pleasurable movement are all good to start. Dancing can be good too. Start with reasonable goals so you don't get discouraged. Remember you are starting where you are and moving forward gently. 5/7 days is a realistic activity goal. It can also help to have a supportive partner or group.

Go slow
Good diet

That second one is reeeeeally important. It's not just calories, but a massive increase in needed / readily available calcium (both to flex your muscles, and to start laying on more density in your bones), potassium to relax flexed muscles, protein (to build and repair muscles), vitamins & minerals (to support both your organs which will be working harder, and your immune system), water to keep everything flushing, etc. It's really, really, really important to eat regularly & eat well... Or you will very much be risking injury, that is "easily" avoided, if your diet supports the increased activity and rebuilding of your body from the bones outward.

Friday is so right about nutrition and vitamins. While I am not getting the physical part yet, I am working on the nutritional and vitamin deficiencies. Taking multi, something for joint, (will be adding fish oil soon), B and D, magnesium, pro biotic. I know I need more protein and some other things. Have really let things go. Doing fruit and vegetable many times daily. Trying to stay away from preservative. This stuff is really hard. Sometimes I just don't know what to eat. Sometimes I just want a big cheeseburger!

I like the idea of doing 5/7 days @The ANP - have tended to try for everyday and not always manage it. Shall give myself a couple days off a week.

@heyheyhey Have really enjoyed walks in nature :) Would like to try yoga in the future. Don't feel ready for classes yet - guess I could try YouTube or something - to try at home for now. Thanks

Can relate very much @brat17 !
Great that you're starting to get your nutrition sorted, think I defo started sorting my diet out before exercise. I know what you mean about finding it hard to get started too. Something I find helpful is to tell mysrlf I only need do something very small indeed. Really small. That way if I do it I feel good that I've done it. And then also often find myself thinking I could do a bit more while I'm at it. Best wishes to you :)

Cheers @Friday - been working on improving diet for some time, is pretty good lately

Thanks @Symphony it's been a long time! I forgot about warming up. Wish you well :)

My aim I think is to gently increase fitness and strength over time - already noticed a good improvement when walking - a noticeable difference each week in cardiovascular and don't really ache afterwards like I did to begin with. Really did ache a lot to start with.

Also my ankle hurt ever such a lot after only a shortish walk. But since starting Physio it just doesn't hurt anymore. Love it!

Am wondering about things that give a good all over but gentle strengthening - I guess there's a lot of things that would be good. Maybe to begin with, something I can do at home would suit...

Still be great to hear from anyone who relates or has tips
Thanks

I highly recommend hatha yoga for stretching and gentle strengthening. It's something you can do at home by finding videos and podcasts. But keep in mind that some poses can be triggering.

Maybe talk to your physio or look online for a training plan. It will help you build up endurance in a healthy manner.

I really want to do yoga, feel I'm not ready for going to a class but doing it at home from videos etc could be a way for me to work my way in gently yes :)

My left ankle is pretty damaged, got a lot of scar tissue around it and can't balance on my left foot at all as yet but I'm sure I can work around things to suit

Also the Physio on my ankle really is helping with strengthening it too

Good idea to ask Physio

I've been feeling like I want an all round strengthening program of some sort... tge only thing I can remember hearing if is Canadian army exercises... or something like that anyway. I seem to remember it as being a bit full on for where I'm at just now tho!

YouTube was great for getting me started with yoga. It lets you easily try out a lot of different teachers and approaches. There were quite a few videos that I only did five minutes of before deciding that I wasn't comfortable, and that would have been really frustrating if I was trying to do it in person.

I guess I'm a little picky. I prefer one that is more geared towards weight loss, because I feel uncomfortable if I have to hold a pose for a really long time. I'd rather cycle through poses more quickly. I also still only have one teacher that makes me actually feel calm, and I've been doing it for over a year.

Thanks @Nessa7
Would love to know which teacher you found calming? Am a big fan of calming.

Have just been reading stuff online about beginning yoga at home - and it's struck me that it sounds like it would be very good for releasing tension from muscles.

Have come to realise how freaking tense my whole body is, esp back and shoulders.

Have been meditating daily recently - it's so good - helping me to be much more connected, aware, calm etc - also noticing tension in the body...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back