• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Getting Off Medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

catatonicky

Learning
Has there been a thread about how people get off meds well? I've tried many methods and recently went cold turkey as im sick of meds and want to DIY. I've come off the max dose of Cipramil and have been having brain "rushes" which im taking flaxseed oil for and it seems to take the edge off. i also am having short evening "flashbacks" to the drug-numbness state. Have any other members got advice about getting off the meds merry-go-round?

Its great to feel passion and anger again after being drugged up for so long (10 years). I dont want to use any Dr therapy; tried them all and they dont work for me. Actually think they've done more harm than good; eg my last psychiatrist basically talked me out of an "unhealthy" relationship that was actually very healing. I've been to every kind of mental health professional and only one (an unqualified counsellor who i suspect had close experience of ptsd herself) was helpful; the rest know nothing, and the more qualified you go, the more drugs they pile on to you until you are walking toxic shock. Or else its endless replay of the "trauamatic events" from every possible angle and digging out every nuance and memory. Makes managing real life hard, but then youre so medicated it dosnt matter.
Maybe its the withdrawal talking but all i feel is anger at the drs and the meds and the rest of the world as well. No one can help you with this its just basically, deal with it or die. Thats the choice.

A family member of mine dealt with the withdrawal symptoms by exercising profusely every day. He was successful and is still off the drug.

Now that is excellent advice, it seems so obvious yet i actually hadnt thought of it. Thank you, upstream, i am going to try this. Its so hard to concentrate on work anyway with this surging in my brain. Maybe it will kick start a healthier brain cycle. I seem to be stuck in the wrong gear!

Well done on trying to get off medications. Everyone is different, some need meds. However. My daughter is also off meds for over a year now. Doing splendidly well. I second Upstream's advice. Exercise was extremely helpful to her as well.

Jim.

Many meds are available in liquid form. This allows you to ease off even slower than you would be able to by cutting pills in half. Good luck.

well, it didnt go too well actually. I've done it cold turkey with Effexor before, but with Cipramil it was totally different. The head rushes didnt stop, i got stomach cramps and diarreah, and a few days ago was admitted to hospital suicidal. Oh well, i'm not superwoman. So im back on a low dose of Effexor and feeling alot better. Just goes to show that sometimes Doctors do know what they are talking about. So Im going to see a psych today. Humbler now, i wish i didnt need to be on the meds, but i guess thats what its going to take....
Still, thanks for the encouragement everyone, and i've already started the excersizing!

The 26th of this month is one year that I've been med free. OMG...it's been a year already! In spite of the withdrawls that drew out for a long time, it was so worth it. Knowing that my progress was because of my hard work and not pills I took helped me so much.

I think the one thing you have to remember is that it's your life, your choice and your body. Doctors, therapists, psychiatrists are in your employ to help you and support you to get better. Everything you do or don't do is your choice. And your meds fall into that category. If they are helping and necessary then take them. If you and your support team (i.e. doctors) feel you can do it without meds, then it's your choice to get off of them. If you don't think a member of your support team has your best interest at heart, then get a new member.

I hope the withdrawls ease up and you get to really enjoy your life.

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back