1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Giving up on hospitals

Discussion in 'Medical' started by CoolShade, Feb 26, 2018.

1. CoolShade

CoolShade New Member

In the last 10 years I've gone to great lengths to try to get hospitals to implement some simple accommodations for my PTSD for surgeries and other procedures. I've had assistance from some caring people. But in the end all of my surgeries have been traumatic because the postsurgery nursing staff simply ignore the accommodations put in place by care managers. I haven't had problems with doctors; it's the nurses.

After my recent surgery I concluded that I'm up against plain old systemic meanness. If you google "nurse bullying" you will find a great many studies of nurse-on-nurse bullying. So what are the chances that nurses bully patients? In my experience, about 30% of nurses are just plain mean and controlling. That's enough to wreck a hospital stay.

I'm really discouraged. I'm not going to hope for a smooth hospital stay next time. I fully expect that in the future I will be demeaned, humiliated, and traumatized. I don't feel it does any good at all to ask for accommodations like "Please don't burst into my room in the middle of the night, turn on all the lights, and shout I'M HERE TO CHECK YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE!!!" I give up. Please don't advise me to complain to the head nurse. This type of behavior starts with the head nurse.

Fadeaway likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Justmehere

Justmehere Defying the odds Moderator Premium Member

I’m sorry you have run into a bad batch of nurses (and that you have had to have surgery too!) I have a family member who is a nurse who has shared a few stories of dumb stuff nurses have done in regards to patients. There are many great nurses and some real jerks out there too.

It stinks the instructions from the care managers have been ignored. Recovery from surgery is hard enough.

If you requested ADA accomodations, and the hospital is failing to comply, you could go outside of the hospital and file a civil rights grievance, or file with the proper nursing regulatory agency.

Zoogal likes this.
  4. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have been on the receiving end myself. I would say that it greatly contributed to me developing worse PTSD after my most difficult trauma. The nurses were beyond cruel to me. Maybe I wasn't the most easiest patient to deal with but for christ sakes, I Just had 3 back to back deaths in less than two weeks including my newborn child and another child in pediatrics. My mother had just committed suicide and I was being blamed for the death of the other person by their family because I didn't let the person spend the night at my house. And they went and stuck me in a recovery room with with a huge celebrating family. Walking down the hall I could easily tell there were plenty of empty recovery rooms. So why stick me in with them knowing I hadn't had a single visitor. Not a single damn person cared what I was going through. Not a single "I am sorry for your loss."

Sorry, I will stop now. I was already pretty triggered when I read this thread.

5. Zoogal

Zoogal Policy Enforcement Banned

Wow that's awful..
    I have several family members that are nurses I hope they don't treat people like that

Fadeaway likes this.