• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Good books on developmental trauma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Revealing the Inner World of Traumatized children, An Attachment Informed Model for Assessing Emotional Needs and Treatment. Not sure that this won't be too clinical for what you are looking for @Teasel, but thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Lindsay C. Gibson

Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents​

This book as well as her follow up books on recovering and Self-care deal with emotionally immature people in general and were all incredibly helpful and healing for me!

You would probably find Developmental Psych / Development Through The Lifespan textbooks quite useful… as I know you’re keen on research… and these books lay out everything from a very neutral perspective / including theories & divergences from every school of psychooogy, as well as the entire spectrum of responses (not just PTSD, and not just trauma). They not only provide a really fantastic framework / frame of reference, but a fantastic launch pad for further adv. study in normal Autistic development & challenges, early childhood development + trauma, and trauma+autism .

Textbooks are expensive as all get out, but? They can be rented for 3, 6, or 12mo, or bought used, for really reasonable fees.

One of the things I love about hitting up university book stores is that text books are so much more free of bias, than when a fraction of those principles & theories are being interpreted by someone else, and then written about.

Having an expert/author interpret and relay/translate into plain English is also useful. I’ve just come to adore removing the middleman, to get the straight info, rather than what any individual deems important (or unimportant, and leaves out!). <<< It also adds a lot more depth, when I DO pick up pop-psych books, because I can compare/contrast different interpretations of the same thing. >>> Like being with a bunch of friends all discussing the same movie we’ve seen, and getting different insights & perspective; rather than watching the preview (pop psych), or the movie all by myself (textbook-psych).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back