• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Good Things That Have Happened Since My Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire

MyPTSD Pro
A while back when I was asked the question, "name the good things that have happened since your crash", I couldn't honestly think of anything. Now I can so I am slowly but surely getting better and as things improve I can recognise that some things have changed for the better:

I have become much more sensitive to peoples needs and much more empathic. I can recognise poeples emotional needs much more acutely. I put this to good use when I took a instructors position for the last 3 summers. The job was as a windsurf instructor which was something I'd always wanted to do. My crash was the catalyst to me getting my instructors qualifications and then the job. I was successful in the job because I could recognise peoples moods, fears, needs when I was teaching them.

I never forget that everything can change in a flash and I always try to keep that in mind when things get too busy with work. I make it my priority to try and get the right balance between everything.

I also know I can function on very little sleep, that when I put my stubborn character to good use it can help me improve, that I am a fighter and it's corny but its true, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You have a job as a windsurfing instructor???? I'm sure there are bad times.... but you have a job that many dream of and only few can achieve! Keep up the progress!

I did for the last few summers. Yes, I am lucky to have had the opportunity. Its a fantastic environment to be in for me. A real tonic for my soul.

Finding something good that came out of something bad is an accomplishment to be proud of. Life giving you lemons-make lemonade may sound like a trite saying, but there's a real truth in there. We can't always control what happens to us, but we can control whether or not we're going to become stronger from it or lie down and just wallow in it.

You've chosen to fight and become stronger...you have my utmost respect.

What a wonderful attitude, Claire! You've made a lot of progress, and your strength shines through in your posts. Thank you for sharing. Windsurfing certainly sounds very enjoyable. Maybe I should take a class... never too late to learn something new.

Yes, go for it Kathy! its a great sport, you are never to old to try it. If you were closer I'd offer to teach you!

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am enjoying a more positive frame of mind at the moment. The change is slow but what I noticed was at first every day was a nightmare, then you get the odd hour that's ok, then the odd day until that turns round and you get more good days than bad. Its a slow process and I still go backwards sometimes but my recovery time is better. It doesn't take me as long to pick myself up and move on anymore. I'm getting stronger.

Marlene, I like the saying: Life giving you lemons-make lemonade. I've never heard that one before! Very true.

that I am a fighter and it's corny but its true, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Claire, I simply love that saying, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Like you've said, maybe corny and perhaps not original, but oh' how true. I use it all the time.
luv it!

Hope

You were a windsurfing instructor? I used to teach skydiving. For many years before my plane crash (not skydiving related - everyone always asks). I know what you mean about where the students are at when they come to you. That was my favorite part.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back