• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Group Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

grace5555

MyPTSD Pro
My therapist is insisting that I find a support group for PTSD and attend 1-2 times a week. This absolutely terrifies me and everything in me screams no. Please give me your input on this.

Thanks,
Grace

Grace, I think group therapy is not for everybody. I was offered it, but had refused. First, I just can't be open in front of many people. Second, what if I will see those poeple somewhere, for instance in shop, or even as clients in our animal hospital? I simply could not do that.
But i heared that it works for some individuals well.

Grace,

Your therapist may be trying to "Move you out of your comfort zone." He/she may feel that you need the extra push to get you out of your isolation if that's the case.

Group can be fun, and sometimes takes the heat off of you for awhile, as others are speaking. It a place to share, and know that you are not alone.

No it isn't for everyone, but you may want to just try one or two sessions just to see. You never know...You may end up liking it. Just give it some thought before making a decision....

I was in a Panic & Phobia group for a while, I wouldn't call it fun by any means, it was hard work, and scary as I am so antisocial. Some of the other patients really annoyed me too, they were whiney. ;) But it was a good learning experience and it helped me to relate to other people a bit better. Overall I'm glad I attended.

I was in a group for Rape survivors. It was a bunch of women. Yes we had some fun, some laughs, and some days of just plain old misery. So there were some fun times. We also bonded and met new people with the same problems, we worked to offer others solutions, and offered a shoulder to cry on if needed. After group some of us would go out for coffee to socialize.

I guess it's all different for different people, and their own issues. I actually enjoyed it. But as I stated before, it isn't for everyone....

I used to feel terrified of the prospect of doing group therapy, too. Then, a couple years ago I myself actually started looking for a group - for rape survivors, child abuse survivors, whatever. I think the reason for me is that I got to a point where I was more scared of being alone with this than I was of the group situation. That's why I found this forum, and it has helped me a lot! I still wish there was a therapy group for ptsd near me, though.

I did some group therapy when I was younger, and I remember so well how insulting and humiliating it was when a couple of other members saw me at the shopping mall and started making fun of me right there. I cried over the pain, and so many people there thought it was funny, making me cry more. I was 17. Last damn time I ever go to group therapy.

If you ever decide to go, I hope-I pray-you benefit from it.

Ugh sorry that happened CJ. That must have been awful for you.

I forget to mention this in my first post, but in my experience there is a big difference between group therapy and a support group. A support group is primarily for you to derive support and friendship from others with the same condition as yourself. But group therapy is therapy. It's no different from individual therapy really, except that you have to be able to trust more people with your issues. In the group therapy I attended, we did some very hard work, just like I would have done with an individual therapist. I felt shitty afterwards, just like I do when I go to individual therapy. You really work on issues, and its tough. The group therapy only lasted for 8 weeks. We went twice a week, and it was quite intense. After the 8 weeks, there was an option to attend a support group. Everyone who "graduated" from the group therapy was welcome in that group. I'm not sure which you are supposed to be attending Grace, or whether it is a combination of both, but you might want clarification on that. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Anytime someone suggests that I be around a whole group of other people it scares the hell out of me. Even though I have had successes in group therapy before. I am about to start a brand new group in January and I'm full of "what ifs". I think the important thing is that you try. I'm pretty sure it won't kill you and there's a chance it'll make you stronger. That's what I tell myself anyway. take care, whatever you decide. ;)

Good clarification, Evie - thanks.

Also, it's now striking me a bit that it seems your therapist is sending you out to find something on your own. Did he or she make any referrals for you? Maybe it's just me, but I figure that's part of what I'm paying my therapist for. I know that I would feel much more comfortable going to a group if my therapist knew about it, including any other therapist who led the group, and directed me to it.

I'm wishing you the best, Grace.

I believe part of healing is also helping ourselves. This means we rely less on others. My psych has also suggest a support group, but I have to find one myself. (still haven't but when I do, I will be going.)

This is what we are here, is a support group to get better. I think a support group in real life would be great! Harder than hell to force yourself to get too, but great none the less.

I know that support groups for PTSD is rare unless you are military. However find a panic or anxiety group. That would be a great start.

bec

Thank you, everyone, for responding. I was surprised at all the input as ya'all don't really know me yet. Thanks so much...

My T wants me in a support group - not group therapy. She knows I couldn't ever take group therapy and the support group thing is a push to get me less isolated. She is looking for an appropriate group for me as well, but our area has been a little messed up since the hurricanes. I am diagnosed on the severest end on the scale and can't seem to get stabilized in any fashion. I know this will go on for the rest of my life and I am so tired - so very tired. They can't even find meds to knock me out for sleep, much less for the panic. This is hell, but I know ya'all know that.

Thanks for the input - I truly do appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back