• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Assault Gsw Victim - Impact Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCrochet

New Here
Has anyone written one?

Tomorrow morning, I have to go to the courthouse, the defendant will be over the phone. I'm so scared it's not even funny.
When I was 13, I woke up, and my father's son shot me through my bedroom door. Alot has happened since then, and alot of proof has been brought about that he DID do it on purpose. But for this that or the other reason, nothing substantial has happened to him.

Until recently. He cut off his ankle bracelet and is now in a psych ward. My impact statement was to include how this has affected me, and now I feel like I'm reliving it all over again, having to go through every detail.
I feel like I'm going to puke the minute I step into that courtroom.

I guess I should also add that another thing that is bringing me alot of anxiety is the fact that only my mother is on my side in this. My dad is like, 1.5 steps in his son's corner and .5 in mine if that.
He literally told me to "tell them 15 years is WAY too long for him, and not to throw him under the bus"

I'm totally going to cry, scream, and lock myself in the bathroom tomorrow afternoon.

First, I'm sorry you're dealing with all this. I can't imagine how hard it must be. But, one more big moment of it and then it'll start moving behind you. The court will protect you first--you're safe. His mental state (or lack of) only plays into your narrative.

Second, you are not accountable for his actions. Next time your dad says something about not throwing him under the bus, remind him that his son threw himself under the bus. He's a person that is responsible for themselves just like you are, so in no way are his actions and the consequences of them your responsibility (no better way to phrase it, I understand his actions very negatively impacted you). He's pushing the blame to the victim and that's not okay at all!

You're only role is to relay what happened to you and display how it has affected you. The nervousness, the anxiety, the overwhelming fear...he did that to you. Don't be ashamed if you show it, you survived an hell of an ordeal!

Since he's over the phone, he won't physically be there. If you have a real fear for your safety in the meantime, ask the judge for protective custody, denial of bail, a no-contact/restraining order, etc.. and you can always stay with a friend. Heck I'd be shocked if there wasn't a cop there willing to work offduty (time and a half hourly) to watch your property.

Point being, you are a victim of a horrible event that you are not responsible for the outcome of. If he goes to jail he did it to himself, and the subsequent talks with your father should remind him that you do not make sentencing guidelines or crime categories, so whatever they decide is out of your hands.

I'm glad you're alive and you are stronger than you think.

Update::
Thank you both for your input in this awful situation!

Today went okay, however, I had to sit there and listen to his mother lie for him, and he addressed me over the phone as well, multiple times. (He was not supposed to.)
I don't even know what parts I can and cannot talk about, needless to say. They asked for him to have 2-5 years. The people on my side wanted 15, judge met them in the middle for 8. But he can petition to get out every 6 months.

If he gets out, and I'm not prepared to be able to handle the stress of being by myself (with my 13-month-old daughter) The precautions will be taken for me to be able to reside somewhere else. Whether it be with one of my grandparents, otherwise my only other option would be going to stay with a friend down in TN or CO with my dad's parents.

I was also urged to get counseling by the courts. Which I haven't done, simply because my parents couldn't afford it. We have better insurance starting in January so that ball will start rolling then. I feel better now after it was all said and done when my letter was read aloud ( by the prosecutor) the Sheriff + whatever woman beside him had tears in their eyes.
This sheriff was also the first one to come to my house when we called the cops after I was shot.
VERY emotional day. But I am feeling a little less on edge.

Has anyone written one?

Tomorrow morning, I have to go to the courthouse, the defendant will be ove...

My heart goes out to you, it really does, because the callousness of such abusers is unrivaled. I am being stalked by a whole group of people that actually pretends that their members are my friends, total strangers who harrass me every day and who want to pretend at the same time that they know me, that they are just like me. It disgusts me greatly.

I know one thing, a predator will do everything he can to get to you, anything, that includes others to lie for him, that includes to employ others to tell his sob story and so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back