• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hair Styles For Those Without- Stock Set Up Or Willful Intervention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enough

MyPTSD Pro
I am a firm believer in the stock set up for most things, run it as it came from the factory is usually the most reliable way to go. That applied to my beard when it grew in, and pretty much my hair length, most of the time. Working around machinery has required a shorter cut for most of the last 35 years and that has become the new normal.
Now my stock set up is thinning and going completely bare in large areas, probably approaching 50% of what used to help keep me warm is now only capable of doing so after a severe sunburn. I just run the buzz cut clippers over my whole head, keeping it all more or less the same length from the pointy top to the fuzzy chin. Stock set up.

My question- Stay with the stock set up or just shave it and be done?
So much to be said for both camps, can anyone be bothered to write some of it down for me?

No pictures! This is an anonymous peer to peer support group for good reason and I don't want to see yours either!

Shaving your head in winter will usually make you look sick for the next 6+ months. Or pinto, depending on how much surface area has been vitD express 😉 Unless you live in a very sunny area.

IE, if you’re gonna shave? Wait until spring.

Until then, though? Scaling down on the guards until you’re at a 1… will make the transition a lot less “Whoa. Did you lose a bet?” And this is from someone who really prefers shaved heads. A SUDDENLY shaved head is just a bit alarming.

Wear a hat. That’s just because shaving is another chore. If you always have a hat on outside, and you remove it inside (a gentleman had a hat on his head in church yesterday, I was appalled) which you should, it doesn’t matter what your hair looks like anymore because you’d have hat hair anyway. If you had any that is. It still applies though, it’s like a forgiveness. I’m in the same boat more or less but I have more coverage than you described. I cut my own hair since covid and I got pretty good at doing the fade myself but it’s a ton of work lol. You know you are old when you don’t really care how you look anymore . I’m there . My wife likes more hair I like a buzz cut . You just can’t win. Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

yeah,
Wear a hat. That’s just because shaving is another chore. If you always have a hat on outside, and you remove it inside (a gentleman had a hat on his head in church yesterday, I was appalled) which you should, it doesn’t matter what your hair looks like anymore because you’d have hat hair anyway
thats the SOP for like ten years now, and is it just me or does driving with a hat on feel weird? I am especially off put by gleaming clean knock of Stetsons inside, all hat and no cattle they say. I have switched to a brimmed hat, usually a true grass weave panama with a dirty smudge from taking it on and off with work hands, or the clean one that is out in my truck if inside. Absolutely better than any of the baseball caps I have loved and worn out over the years, cooler, more protection, and no one ever commented on a ball cap unless it was from an opposing team to their own. Panamas in summer and Akubras or a stormy chromer in the winter is the SOP and probably will stay that way. Thanks all.
Almost cut my hair...........

To be honest, as a guy who had hair down to the middle of his back in high school, cut short is awesome. Long? PITA to take care of. Too much brushing and combing and drying and product and shampoo. Worked for a printing place for 30 years after that and nobody who worked near the press room had long hair.

#2 clippers on the sides and back and I still have enough on top to style so I do. Cutting it short makes life here so much easier and faster. Especially since I live where if your hair is at all damp it freezes 4 steps out the door and then turns into a frizzy mess this time of year.

Especially since I live where if your hair is at all damp it freezes 4 steps out the door and then turns into a frizzy mess this time of year.
LMAO… About once every 10 years I just get pissed off at my hair, put an 8 on he clippers, and shave it all off.

I look TERRIBLE like that (♀️) but man oh man oh man… it is soooooo much easier!!!🤣

Hot dry climates curls are a breeze, but cold damp climates they’re hell.

I also worked in a printing place and as an artist it's also f*cking annoying to have hair. The most annoying hair is half length, with really long hair you can at least make a braid or a ponytail and clip everything. I also considered to shave it all (woman here) but I figured people would think I got cancer.

In hat terms I'm more on the beanie team. But like really nice ones. So I can tuck the hair inside and it's not too weird when you're inside a place. As I don't go to church I don't face that particular problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back