Hallucinations with dissociative symptoms

jdh101903

New Here
Anyone get auditory hallucinations and dissociative PTSD? I have been trying to figure out how to label what i have and found some research on this. I almost fell out of my chair as I've been diagnosed with things like mdd with psychotic symptoms and generalized anxiety disorder but knew that wasn't quite right until a psychologist suggested DID nos. I laughed at him until i realized what dissociative symptoms were which led me to the PTSD lit. Appreciate any input as I'm searching for answers

I mean I am not your doctor and I don`t want to tell you wether your experience is psychotic or dissociative. There are certainly dissociative pseudo-hallucinations that sometimes get mistaken for psychotic symptoms and even visual/optical/accustical flashbacks get sometimes mistaken for being psychotic in nature.
These can come with almost any trauma related disorder and most often it is a flashback of sorts where you kinda experience it with your senses (for you it could be accoustically)

In my experience a pseudo-hallucinations feels like an "optical illusion" of some sort (for me they are mostly visually). Scientifically it is long known that hearing voices doesn`t really correlate with psychosis that much.
People can hear voices and have no mental illness or they could have psychosis/dissociation going on.

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
Anyone get auditory hallucinations and dissociative PTSD? I have been trying to figure out how to label what i have and found some research on this. I almost fell out of my chair as I've been diagnosed with things like mdd with psychotic symptoms and generalized anxiety disorder but knew that wasn't quite right until a psychologist suggested DID nos. I laughed at him until i realized what dissociative symptoms were which led me to the PTSD lit. Appreciate any input as I'm searching for answers
DID and dissociation are two very different things. Did you read about DID.....amnesia, losing days, having odd things happen that you can't account for like buying something and not remembering....???

DID and dissociation are two very different things. Did you read about DID.....amnesia, losing days, having odd things happen that you can't account for like buying something and not remembering....???
Sorry I don`t want to seem rude. I think they meant dissociative disorder not otherwise specified.
And dissociation is quite a hallmark feature in DID even if DID is more polysymptomatic than a single dissociative Disorder like for example Depersonalisation/Derealisation...

TruthSeeker

MyPTSD Pro
Sorry I don`t want to seem rude. I think they meant dissociative disorder not otherwise specified.
And dissociation is quite a hallmark feature in DID even if DID is more polysymptomatic than a single dissociative Disorder like for example Depersonalisation/Derealisation...
DDNOS- yeah, I was confused, but I thought the classification now was OSDD.....at any rate, they still use the old term. The poster would have clarified, but thanks....

Ireusa

Confident
Some severe dissociative symptoms such as "hearing" voices (or having thoughts that are not your own) and other dissociative PTSD like symptoms such as flashbacks (that can be auditive) are relatively common. DDNOS/OSDD sounds like something possible if there has been traumatic experiences but I would bring it up to your therapist.

HealingMama

MyPTSD Pro

Voices in your own head is a common symptom of some forms of dissociative disorders which usually come as a consequence of trauma so there's PTSD there too.

They are called Schneidarian symptoms and can also come from schizophrenia or other psychosis but in dissociative disorders there tends to be some differences (like with dissociative voices they are usually inside the head vs outside the head, they comment on what you're doing, less religious content, less likely to be converting an outside sound into a voice like thinking the air conditioner is talking to you). Link

I experience what is apparently the "tactile hallucination" version of this. I can't really find any good information about my own experience, unfortunately.

The Haunted Self (Onno van der Hart) is written for clinicians but has some good info about dissociation and how it's different from psychosis, if you like to read about this sort of thing.