• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hallucinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

New Here
Hi there,

This is my first post so I don’t really know how this goes but I was just wondering if I’ve lost the plot.

I’m having hallucinations, which I didn’t realise were symptoms of ptsd until they started. They’ve progressively gotten worse, it started with me seeing glimpses of my abusers and now to the point they are just as real as anyone else in front of me and they speak to me. They can be around for a fair amount of time, they don’t just disappear once I acknowledge them or anything.

It’s really terrifying and I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this? Does anyone else see people that they can almost talk to and that talks to them?

Not exactly like that, but I can think of a situation where the scene i was seeing (and smelling, as it happened) was NOT what anyone else saw (or smelled) and it so real, I didn't know anything was off until I went back a couple days later and saw something much different.

Having said that, this sounds like something you might need some professional help to sort out. Do you have a therapist or doctor you can talk about it with?

That makes sense, perhaps I’m sort of projecting the past into the present maybe? I’m used to the flashbacks but usually I lose the present all together not have some of both.
I do see a therapist but she’s been away for 6 months and won’t be back for another 6. Unfortunately this started after she went away so I don’t have any idea if it’s normal or what to do

Did you discuss a plan, in case you needed to talk to someone before she gets back? Someone else in the same practice, maybe?

I'm not sure how it works there, do you have a regular doctor who you trust and who knows about your PTSD?

I don't have flashbacks very often, but, when I do, there's always been a mix of past and present. What I described here is the only time I know of where I didn't realize there was something strange going on.

It really did kind of freak me out. When I talked to my t about it, he said we were going to call it "an illusion". There had been a lot going on in my life about then and I was probably stressed. Then a smell reminded my brain of a place that had been bad & produced the illusion to warn me and try to keep me safe. The thing is, there wasn't really any danger. I can see how it would make, in some situations, that your brain might decide that showing you a dangerous person would be useful. The thing is, there are other things that can cause a person to see, hear, smell things that aren't actually there too, so it might be good to get it checked out, if you can.

I have them, but they are sound only, not visual. Voices will speak to me. They want me to do things sometimes. They can be very demanding. Sometimes they tell me things. They lie too!

The only time I experienced hallucinations was while I was in a state of psychosis, right before and after I freed myself from the bad situation I was in. I had a lot of auditory hallucinations, often saying "shhhhhhhhh" while I was talking, or my abusers name being shouted or said urgently, but also of all sorts of things, I couldn't even get into it all. The auditory and visual hallucinations were 100% realistic.

I was also having delusions, and my sense of understanding was completely messed up. Reason and logic just went *poof*, as did my sense of reality.

The hallucinations didn't start until I began to get really sleep deprived. Everything intensified with sleep deprivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back