• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Harvey Weinstein Trial - False Memory Syndrome & Repressed Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

hithere

MyPTSD Pro
I am torturing myself by watching and following the Harvey Weinstein Trial. On Court TV they have this so-called expert, so-called world famous expert-the one and only expert on trauma (according to court tv) and trauma treatment and memory. Their discussions on Court TV are doing a horrible disservice to victims world-wide. I'm so angry about this. The expert is correct in that memory is weird and there can indeed be created "false memory syndrome" and it's why therapists should not make "suggestions" when someone presents with symptoms that could be the result of sexual trauma. That these memories should emerge only naturally if the psyche is trying to work the trauma out.

However, this f*cking expert claimed right on this show and all the talking heads agreed that traumatic memories cannot be "repressed" and walled off. I know for a f*cking fact memories are "walled off" by some people in order to function in their lives. The other thing children and people do is think about the assaults from a view point of "I did something to cause this" "This wasn't that bad" and all kinds of ways to think about it that are not true and does not address the truth of the abuse.

I'm so pissed about this. So Angry. Yes memory is not always "100%" accurate of the facts-and we remember things differently. But for these bitches on court tv to say that Annabelle Sciorra has just changed her memories to be an assault because she didn't get a role she wanted and regretted sex with Harvy Weinstein infuriates me. Our culture is sick.

I am torturing myself

This.

Turn it off.

I totally get your upset and anger. I have the same issue with other current news these days. What I discovered was that, by constantly watching, I was making myself nuts. So I turned it all off. I just don't watch it anymore. And I feel sooo much better.

I think I would ask how you are being served by watching and if watching is maybe causing you more headaches than not.

And...truthfully, I believe that *everything* anybody says is opinion or theory. So it doesn't really matter what "experts" say. It only matters how we respond to it.

And yeah, I agree. Our culture is very sick.

I suppose I posted something similar recently...during my career I learned some unfortunate truths and ethics were a joke. Far from play along or else. I have to admit I am very disillusioned these days. Re the memory I always think of Jennifer Freyd and the "false memory syndrome foundation". This stuff is crazy, really makes you wonder about the world.

Turn it off.

Yup. My only solution to date. I like to be abreast of current events etc but it isn't worth it anymore.

Take care, you're not alone in your distress over all of this...

Whirlwind

As a question of law, being if or not the court sees it as true and so admissable. This makes it a matter of opinion. You would hopefully look at the evidence fairly and decide but that's not how it works. You can't show someone a "repressed memory" or any other kind of memory.

But you can see it in behavior.

It's understandable the lawyers have to deal with that. As for me I have to live with it and I found out it's real and I don't think about it anymore.

I agree with everyone who said don't watch it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back