1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone been to sheppard pratt's trauma program?

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Blondie2544, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Blondie2544

Blondie2544 New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am new here. I have c PTSD and some low level disassociation. I finally after all these years, have come to a point where I can admit that I need to go some place to get more help. My meds are def wrongl Years ago I before they really talked about ptsd let alone c ptsd a general NP put me on xanax...8 years later they no longer work and i take them for maintainence. There is no doubt it is time for a trauma disorders unit. My Therapist sent the intake team my paper work at least 3.5 weeks ago. They never have an answer as to whether I am accepted. I can't wait much longer, I do not want to end up in a community based inpatient until..where they have no idea how to treat trauma. I am so afraid of being rejected,,, has anyone else been though this process? Does it always take this long? I am anxious, sad, worried, Help!

Mach123 likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Justmehere

Justmehere Defying the odds Moderator Premium Member

Have you or your therapist tried calling them to ask when you can expect a decision either way?

4. berlinda

berlinda On the way to find out :-) Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Hi @Blondie2544 welcome,

Just to say I did a quick search for Sheppard pratt and plenty of results came up
    Hope you get accepted soon.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Blondie2544 likes this.
  5. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

LuckiLee, joeylittle and digger like this.
  6. Blondie2544

Blondie2544 New Member

Yes, we have both made inquires. They told him they would have a decision in 48 hours that was a week ago last Friday. I know River Oaks is an option also, but I live in central NY and it would be very expensive to go that far away. It's tricky to find a good place near by when you have medicare.

7. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

I’d call again.

8. Blondie2544

Blondie2544 New Member

I am afraid that they really won't accept me if I am pushy...part of me thinks my therapist should grow a backbone so I don't have to be the one to make yet another inquiry.

9. FauxLiz

FauxLiz Well-Known Member Premium Member Donated

If you do end up going the River Oaks route I can help with questions even named to make sure you speak to the right people for a decision. I have been there twice so far this year (complicated reasons for shorter than standard periods). So I will help in any way I can.

10. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

Yeah but how do you know if your file got misplaced or they tried to call your therapist and couldn’t get through or...or...or...

11. Blondie2544

Blondie2544 New Member

What did you think of River Oaks? Were the nurses kind? Kimberly in Admissions seems nice. I am not sure if I can trust her. I mean I hope she is truthful. Were you allowed to have books or music?

12. FauxLiz

FauxLiz Well-Known Member Premium Member Donated

Kimberly is very nice and while I had my own personal issues with a couple of staff (PC’s and nurses) the treatment staff were phenomenal. I couldn’t believe that I was able to trust someone as soon as I did but it happened which to me was crazy as it took 4 years to reach that with my very trusted OP T.

When I was there the new corporate CEO was making some changes. You can’t have your music but they do play music on the unit. You can have books but they are subject to review and if deemed detrimental to the unit (think serial killer fiction or the 50 Shades of grey) series I had books there are some on the unit I even left a couple of hardback s that I brought as I had loaned them out and I was finished with them.

When it comes to what is and isn’t allowed on the floor ask to speak to the unit head nurse she will be most up to date on what is and isn’t allowed right now.

13. Blondie2544

Blondie2544 New Member

It all seems so overwhelming to me. But, I get that way easily. Do you live far from New Orleans?
    It sounds like you had a really good stay there. I am thinking of putting sheppard pratt to the side and opting for River Oaks. I just want to be someplace safe.

Show Sidebar