• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone gone thru what I’ve gone thru, if so ‘therapy will I require’?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz

New Here
Story is on true story, I dont now where to start.

Going back young age as my dad was alcoholic
Trying peace missing part of the story , I remember top of the upstairs by stair the next thing remember dad running up the the stair and on the floor curled in an ball covering my face Not knowing whats going happen next. Next I remember running downstair my hand with my face blood in front of family friends at the table (family friends that visit from time to time) and then running basement washroom - looking at the mirror in downstairs washroom — my teeth mouth full of blood, walking upstairs and the driving to hospital (Toronto western) mom placing bag of fresh ice on the mouth - mom kept telling me ‘tell them I fell on concrete Sidewalk, sure that either punch my face or kicked me ‘this is when he was drunk ‘Going thru surgery for smashed teeth, losing front two teeth.
Question: Has anyone gone thru what I’ve gone thru, if so ‘ therapy will I require’

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad was a violent and abusive alcoholic and it caused so much damage mentally. Therapy can definitely help. I would advise it.

If you have PTSD then Trauma Therapy (of which there are several different types) is the gold standard for treatment.

Trauma Therapies For The Treatment Of PTSD

I have listed these first, as the rest are in alphabetical order. The following are the only four tried, tested and proven therapies for the treatment of PTSD that actually treat the cause, not the symptoms. They are:
  1. Cognitive Therapy - Often referred as Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) (CBT) and Cognitive Trauma Therapy (CTT).
  2. Prolonged Exposure (PE) Therapy - Often referred as Exposure Therapy or Behavior Therapy.
  3. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
  4. Stress Inoculation Therapy - Nowadays referred as Stress Management or Mind Body.

A supportive therapy will be most helpful with violent childhood IMHO. The reasons are you may recall certain things that you blocked out in order to survive as a species-person so a supportive therapy will definitely try to create a safe space - without safety in therapy no way of recovering from violent childhood. This is my bit. All the best in your search and you may have to go through few to get the right person and that is OK too. You have had horrible horrible childhood.

Reactions: Wiz
A supportive therapy will be most helpful with violent childhood IMHO. The reasons are you may recall certain things that you blocked out in order to survive as a species-person so a supportive therapy will definitely try to create a safe space - without safety in therapy no way of recovering from violent childhood. This is my bit. All the best in your search and you may have to go through few to get the right person and that is OK too. You have had horrible horrible childhood.
Thanks for the reply, I will do some research
Hope no one go thru what I went thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back