• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone had EDMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishmash

New Here
I am about to start EMDT for my CPTSD. I have been warned that it is difficult as it exposes you to trauma again and again in an attempt to desensitise you. I am willing to try anything to regain some semblence of a life.

Yep, I'm doing it now, been doing it for some time. It works. This is what I said about it on a recent thread...

EMDR has helped me a lot. I started with the 'easier' memories and I got relief pretty quickly, several times in one session. Now, as we navigate the more intense trauma, it's a longer process. I'm always tired afterward, but when I finish and process a memory, I feel amazing.

I've been doing it for several years (I'm a slow learner I guess! 😁) and it is brutal but amazingly effective. You have to make sure your T knows what they are doing - that they have experience in trauma based emdr.

The idea is not that you relive the memory repeatedly - it's not exactly exposure therapy. Instead you revisit the memory so you can change how you think about it. It's tough, but when it works? Worth it!
Those memories that terrify you now become just sad events in your past that lose the power they had over you.

I think there are several threads around on it -- if you search emdr they will pop up.

The idea is not that you relive the memory repeatedly - it's not exactly exposure therapy. Instead you revisit the memory so you can change how you think about it. It's tough, but when it works? Worth it!
Yup. Don't know or care why and how it works but it seems to work. It was easy to learn how to do it. Talk to the T then watch the T's hand....

Therapy hangover and stuff that suddenly shakes loose are the worst parts (so far?). Hangover happens just after therapy and can happen anytime before my next session again. Sudden return of memories or feelings or other trauma memories can happen anytime and it won't always go into the box until next session. Keep your T's number handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back