• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Have you communicated with more than one part at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinkorSwim

MyPTSD Pro
For those who are doing parts work have you communicated with more than one part at a time? I have a 7 year old Katie part and a teenager Katie part. My therapist suggested we try and work with both of them at the same time. I can usually only notice one at a time and im afraid if I get both involved it will be too overwhelming however my therapist thinks if we pay attention to just one the other one will feel ignored and do something drastic for attention. I think she is worried I might cut myself as I told her I've thought about it before but have never done it.

I only communicate with 2 parts when they blend. I have only found one child/younger part so far. That is, I can talk to little E when she blends with fear. (I also talk to both of them separately.)

I guess this doesn’t really help you though?

I usually have two parts communicating with each other when doing Internal Family Systems Therapy work.

Usually it’s my adult self and a younger self, but at times it’s been a teenager self with a younger self. The end goal of parts work usually is to bring all the parts of self to the table, and to have flexibility between them, and to be a fully integrated adult.

Maybe what is needed is time to reassure you that all of the pain can be heard without acting out?

Oh, right. It’s always SELF communicating with someone else. So I’m guessing OP you mean two non-selves talking to each other? (I don’t consider child parts to be “SELF”.)

I should say three parts all communicating at once then. My adult self talks to little Katie and teenager Katie desperately. I've already allowed little Katie into therapy with adult Katie but I'm reluctant to work on teenager Katie right now because little Katie is a handful.

Seperately*

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back