• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Have you ever stopped and started therapy with the same person again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going until last may(mostly for anxiety) and had to stop because I couldn't afford it financially. I am now wanting to try again, and I called them to check that I would like to restart in January and the receptionist was polite, and she said no problem and everything was great...but I keep having this anxious feeling in my stomach- like what is she thinking, what if she judges me for not going for so long but wanting to return to it now? I don't know it just makes me feel stupid and stressed...and since the actual appointment will be probably in a month I won't be able to get less stressed by going there and seeing I didn't need to worry...Ugh...

I've stopped and started with the same T about nine times over the past two decades. She won't judge. She'...
Do you ever think "does she think I'm crazy for needing therapy for so long, stopping and then still needing it again"? I grew up with that backwards belief about counselling and therapy being only for "crazy people". I was in therapy for year and a half, and it honestly felt like the best thing I could have done for my health. But even knowing all that, now there is still this little voice inside me thinking someone will think I'm really screwed up if after 2 years of therapy I still needed it. The new part in me thinks it's a self care thing and I should be going weekly for a lifetime to keep myself at my best...but a part of me still thinks "what is that wrong with me that I have to go for this long" (well, sexual abuse as a child, rape when I was 21, being so anxious that I barely worked or was able to go outside, being bullied...being depressed...so I guess plenty...but still). Honestly I think it's amazing that you keep returning to therapy. But for whatever reason I tend to have really huge judgement towards myself...Sorry....I'm really nervous right now. It has to be fine right, it will be fine..

My father's opinion is only weak minded people need therapy. I say screw him. I've been in therapy for over twenty years and will be for the rest of my life. I was headed towards death and therapy saved my life more than once. I changed jobs every 18 months. Now I've got almost 15 years in one job and on the outside view have an incredibly successful career. I've gone away because of money and because I just needed a break or convinced myself I was 'cured' but always found my way back because it helps. Your therapist will simply be joyful you've found your way back. No judgment. There's so many things to fret about, I'd say let this one go. And good on you for having the courage to continue in therapy!

My father's opinion is only weak minded people need therapy. I say screw him. I've been in therapy for ove...
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that! I also have job/work issues and sometimes I really wonder if I'll get to a time when I struggle less. Admittedly, I was a lot less anxious when I was going to therapy regularly. And yes, that is what my parents think of therapy too. I don't think they even grasp that there is difference between being a little stressed and anxiety attacks. But I am trying to make my peace with it. Thank you for saying all this, it's making me feel a bit better about it. I'll definitely try to let it go.

Hi @SeekingAfrica... If you need help and support... That's OK.... Ur not stupid for needing help...your actually being very mindful. Self loving knowing that you need this support.

A good therapist would never judge you.... A good therapist wants to help give the skills you need.. And teach you how to self love... Etc....

Please stop judging yourself.. You need help... That's fine.. What's wrong with that.. Therapy for 2 years isn't that long really. So stop beating yourself up. OK.... It's what you need... And that's important... So is your mental health.. Take care....

Yes, I went back once, after having thought I was finished with him. He just let it all happen, no problem. Some even say when you leave: "don't worry, I will always be your therapist"

I left one therapist ten years ago (and had some different ones in between but had kinda bailed on this one due to avoidance more than owt else. I went back to her practice a few weeks back and it was her that did my initial assessment and she just seemed glad I was willing to give it another try, not judgemental at all. I think it happens quite a lot to be honest

I had to leave the best therapist I've ever worked with for almost a year now. We did phone sessions until he got sick and I ran out of money, but when he comes back to work, I'm going to be first in line assuming I find the money to pay for his time again! I NEED that therapist and his particular set of skills, and he's emphatic about always being there if I need him (attachment work, but with the understanding he's available if I can pay). He's the only therapist I've ever had to leave and WANTED to go back to, so I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

There is one other therapist I wouldn't mind seeing again for some other issues if my awesome-T isn't available, but I could NEVER do the deep relational work with the other therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back