Healthy, Calorie-Dense Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trapped

MyPTSD Pro
So I've been talking to a lot of people lately that seem to be struggling with eating disorder/disorderd eating related issues, and thought posting some recipes to my blog may be able to help others. These are all foods that I've come to have as staples in my diet. I hate processed foods and normally have a hard time mixing foods, but these are fairly easy even for me to eat, and have come in really helpful (since I need to eat around 3,000 calories a day just to maintain my weight). I'm going to include the fat and protein in grams as well as the calories, although keep in mind all the values will vary slightly depending on the brand of all the stuff you use. The fat content may seem high to some of you (it still does to me sometimes), but it's really not... I'm supposed to get a MINIMUM of 20% fat in my diet, I tend to usually get 15-20%... anything below 15% isn't all that healthy, and anything less than 10% you start to do damage to your brain.

Oat bran

Oat bran is full of fiber and really good for you... Instead of making the oatbran with water, make it with either soy milk or apple juice, and then a little bit of water... adding protein powder to it also really helps. Here are a couple of my favorite ways to make it:

100 g oatbran (I use Trader Joe's brand): 325 calories- 7.5 grams fat- 17.5 grams protein
1 cup Silk soy milk: 100 calories-4g fat- 7 g protein
2 tsp cinamon: 12 calories, no fat or protein
28 g soy protein powder: 110 calories-1.5 g fat- 23 g protein

Add about a half cup of water to the milk, and heat the milk to a boil, add the oatbran and cinnamon and cook... it cooks in just a minute or two, just make sure to keep stirring the oat bran so it doesn't burn. Depending on the consistency you like you can add more water- keep in mind the protein powder thickens it up too. You can add the protein powder at the same time as you add the oatbran if you want, but I don't like to heat up protein powder too much (since heat does denature the protein slightly) so I add it after.

Alternatively, instead of the soy milk, you can use applejuice... it gives it a nice apple-cinnamon flavor... applejuice will add 120 calories for one cup, but no fat or protein.

Also, you can add toppings to it. Mixing in 132 grams of blueberries will add 80 calories and 1 gram each of fat and protein, and with this amount of oat bran you can double up on that amount of blueberries. Blackberries go great in it too, 130 grams of blackberries gives you 80 calories and two grams of protein. If you need to increase your fat count, try adding in some almonds- they're loaded with healthy fats. 28 grams of almonds is 160 calories, 14 grams fat and 6 grams protein.

Quinoa

Quinoa is one of my favorite grains... it's really versatile in how you can prepare it. Here's one of my favorite ways to prepare it:

46 g Quinoa 172 2.8 6 2 tsp cinnamon 12 0 0 40 g raisins 130 0 0 apple juice- 1 cup
120 0 0

Heat the apple juice to a boil and add the quinoa... simmer for about 20 minutes, until the quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid. Stir in the cinnamon, then add the raisins. Almonds go great on this too.... you can also mix in berries or other fruits.

I'm getting tired, so that's all I'm going to type up for now, but I'll post more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.