1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Heavy sigh...veterans day...again

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by Freida, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

I hate veterans day. Hate it hate it. I know it is to honor vets and that's all well and good. But it's also an anniversary date and the last thing I want is to reminded of my days in the military. I usually spend the day hiding in my house because I got talked into going to a parade a couple years ago and almost lost my sh*t.

Haven't been able to sleep the last couple days and when I'm do it's nightmare after nightmare. Plus I have a cold which makes me even whinier

Not really sure where I'm going with this ramble. Guess I'm doing my "share your feelings" homework. ...ugh

dulcia, Friday, Snowflakes and 4 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Tornadic Thoughts

Tornadic Thoughts I'm a VIP

I'm not a veteran, but share ill sentiments regarding the day for many of my own reasons (all hellidays, actually). May the day and our minds become more kind as it goes along. May the cold cooties move along, too. Hope you feel better.

Freida, jael, leehalf and 2 others like this.
  4. Faith Andrews

Faith Andrews My talent: pretending that I'm okay everyday Premium Member Donated

@Freida so sorry. Anniversary dates are not fun.

Freida, leehalf and Rain like this.
  5. LuckiLee

LuckiLee I'm a VIP

Sorry you're hurting. You're definitely not alone. It's a very emotional day. J called a few of his teammates this morning. He was laughing uncontrollably. It was great!

Do whatever you need to do to get through the day. Just don't turn on the tv. Nothing but war movies. :(

Welcome home @Freida and thank you sooooo much for your service and sacrifice!!

XO

Snowflakes, Freida, jael and 2 others like this.
  6. Freida

Thanks all!

I made it thru the day -- kept my happy ass on the couch and watched cartoons on Netflix most of the day. Only snarled at hubby a couple times so that was a huge win. I've done a lot of work over this last couple year to try to get on top of these anniversary reactions. I'm still a basket case but I guess accepting why it bothers me is a start. Really, really glad I didn't have to leave the house!

Buttercup, Sighs, Rain and 2 others like this.
  7. LuckiLee

LuckiLee I'm a VIP

We left the house. :(

Oops!

Rain likes this.
  8. Freida

@leehalf uh oh.... guessing it didn't go well?

Rain likes this.
  9. Boudicca1969

Boudicca1969 Policy Enforcement Banned

Sorry @Frieda I didn't realise you were ex military. Thank you for your service my friend. It must be a very difficult time of year for you. I don't do so well myself with anniversaries of trauma either. Hope you managed to get through it OK. My best to you CD xx

Rain and Freida like this.
  10. deeplyloved

deeplyloved Well-Known Member

Oh Freida. I’m so sorry. Sending you love and support.

11. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

Yep. Hate it.

I have a bad habit of blowing a kiss to the Reservation in my rear view mirror over 10Nov & Veterans Day. I'd say more but I'm still in mad distraction mode. Motherf*cking painful hard damn thing.

Celebrate & Mourn.