• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Hello! Looking for support in opening up about PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamanna

New Here
Hi everyone,

I've struggled with PTSD and some of its co-morbid symptoms (depression, anxiety, insomnia) for about a decade. The last couple of years have been the best I've been in terms of mental health thanks to my incredibly supportive partner, good friends, and the work I've put into self-care. I don't feel 'cured' but I do feel like I've learnt to acknowledge my difficulties to myself and make choices that will keep my symptoms under control. Some times are still harder than others and I need to put in more work to be okay.

The very first steps I ever took in acknowledging mental health difficulties were through online support forums like this. I was scared of opening up to people in my life, but I received a lot of guidance from kind strangers, which lead me to seeking our professional help from psychiatrists, getting involved in activism, and making choices that lead to better mental health.

I increasingly feel like there isn't enough social visibility around PTSD and want to contribute to conversations around the issue. I've been wanting to open up about my mental health journey (like blogging about it) but I find myself avoiding it. I think it feels safer to be silent because I don't feel confident about the support I'll receive. I'm reaching out here in the hopes of growing my support network of people who understand and are on similar journeys.

If you'd like to connect, I'd love it if you reached out. I'm interested in generally broadening my mental health network, through social media sites I use - Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn- and , of course, this forum.

Thanks for reading and wishing you all well during these difficult times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are here. Writing about my PTSD and dissociation here have been really helpful for both my healing and in learning to be more open about who I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back