• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Here To Help Spouses in Support

• Thread starter Deleted member 3
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3

Just to break the ice for others wanting to join the forum. I am Anthony's ex-wife and am happy to chat with anyone who is the support person (does not have to be the spouse) for people with PTSD. I am living the experience and I know how it helps to have someone to chat to.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little advise

Hi Kerrie-Ann,
I have been married to my husband Jon for 10 years and have known him for about 12. He served in desert storm. On our first New Years together, he heard fireworks and threw me to the floor. That was some time ago. When the recent war began he stayed up night after night watching the footage and did not sleep for days. Just recently I received a phone call from him saying that he had been kidnapped in a bag to Iraq. He hung up on me and I was unable to get in touch with him immediately following the call. He returned home an hour later with no recollection of the call to me. I am certainly concerned. I am assuming he is experiencing flashbacks of some sort. I also believe that he suffers from depression. I do know that he will not seek help on his own where can I turn? Thank you.

Hi Amelia,

Welcome to the forum and very glad to have you here. Bob spoke with me about referencing you here, which is great that you decided to join.

I dare say that must have given you a bit off a shakeup when your husband did that with you. Its funny though, in that I am the opposite, where if something loud occurs, I go into it, and not go to ground. I guess it has something to do with the Australian military training, where it becomes instinctive to go into the danger, and not fret from it. From my experiences, the Australian military training is vastly different from the US military, most likely the difference in reponses to those situations. Some Australian soldiers do similar things to you husband, but the majority tend to have that immediate response to move into the danger and fight through it, as we are trained instinctively to do. Strange... but very much a part of how the military brain washing takes hold of you and becomes part of your life even after the military.

As for help Amelia, you will find great assistance here from other spouses who understand the spousal side to living with PTSD. Spouses are often forgotten about, and generally suffer the brunt of all PTSD, being the closest to the sufferer. Spouses need more recognition than they get IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back