• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hi Can't Believe I'm Doing This - Childhood Abuse Caused PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmb

New Here
Hey - can't believe I'm doing this - never joined anything like this before - but am feeling as if I need to talk w/ people that actually have a clue about what it's like. I'm 45 - childhood abuse that has caused PTSD - it's starting to revive itself again regardless of having some tremendously good things happen to me lately. I've struggled with it for many years not knowing what it is - the more I research the more I understand - knowledge is helpful but doesn't take away the symptoms. It seems like this is a good place to be honest about my struggles and compassionate to others that are struggling. So hello and thanks for "listening". tmb

Glad to have you aboard! I am glad you know that you are no longer alone with your struggles. This is a great place to learn and heal!

What had your healing process been like? You get alot of constructive support here... and you have hard but satisfying, long-lasting work ahead of you.

Welcome!

welcome to the forum, tmb. this is a good place, if you are going to join one, this is the one.
cathy

Hi again - thanks for all of your replies. I'm grateful to have others to talk to about it. I struggled with depression and anxiety - was treated for that but it never really got better - as I began to read and study more on this topic I realized a lot of my reactions to others, detachments, etc. are directly linked to what happened to me. My sister is also going through the same thing but more of an extreme now. Three years of serious depression - then I started getting better again. I am now newly married w/ 3 children (2 step) - my family is supportive but they don't always understand. Have "upped" my meds - it helps a little but I am trying to learn ways of heading the reactions off at the pass - is that even possible? Everything seems to come out of the blue - anger, rage, sadness, anxiety attacks, etc. It leaves my family confused as well as myself. Anyway - that's most of what's been going on - I'm now looking to find others that will affirm, validate and perhaps make suggestions of things I haven't tried before. Thanks for listening!

Hi TMB, welcome to the forum. I know exactly what your saying about needing those that understand, as lets be honest here, who else could understand what you feel unless you have felt it? Impossible, and it is the realistic for most things in life. We can imagine what something feels like, but unless we experienced it first hand, we will never know 100%, only imagine from what others tell us. You have certainly made it past the first major hurdle, being your here and talking...

Welcome from me too. I have only just today posted to this forum, and - like you - it's hard to believe I'm doing this! I understand exactly the need to be heard, to be amongst those who understand. the biggest thing that happened to me since coming here is realising that I don't need to feel guilty, and that my feelings and reactions are a natural result of something that happened to me long ago, and NOT a result of my willful idleness or lack of involvement in society. That is a relief, and I'm hoping you feel that too.

tmb,
Welcome, welcome. My therapist says that this is coming up because life is good now...in other words it is safe and there aren't the usual life distractions. Once they come up it seems to be like a boil and it will come to the surface quickly. I too am 44. Age seems to play a part from my observations. Or perhaps I am drawn to noticing that. This is a site with wonderful folks and information.
Best to you,
Patty

Great article on Complex PTSD

[DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread4287.html"]Complex PTSD article[/DLMURL] posted originally by Maus. I found this extremely helpful in identifying my ways of remembering and what is actually going on with me.

Glad you are here,can't believe i'm here too sometimes and in some ways. haven't come across any sites like this one and its not just my memory :-)
understanding and healing to you if thats the words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back