• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Hi. Need info - had bad visuals like movies post-op.

• Thread starter Deleted member 52922
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 52922

When I closed my eyes, troubling movies, on and on. Open eyes - distorting objects, grotesque faces. Patterns changing. Anyone found how to diminish this? Thanks.

It would depend, IME/IMO, if they’re really flashbacks (reliving) or intrusive thoughts &/or memories (thoughts & memories).

In my experience, memories are far more gutting & pervasive, than flashbacks. Flashbacks are fairly easily sorted, as they’re they past presenting as if present, there are soooo many ways to disrupt that “misfile”/ “misfire”. EMDR is the most well known, but there are thousands upon thousands of ways to ground out in the present, actively combatting the dual reality in the moment. So that the past takes a back seat. Meanwhile EMDR doesn’t just disrupt the misfire, but actively refiles the past as a memory, rather than a current moment.

Intrusive thoughts, on the other hand, get far more complicated. Like regret/remorse/sorrow/mourning & other heartbreak… I think Frank DeLaney said it best, in relation to my own life.
“definition of remorse: a mourning that is out of control and never ends, that can strike out of the bluest of skies, across the softest of snows.”

But other intrusive thoughts are nearly -or far more- gutting, shredding, shattering.

I, personally, only know the ADHD trick of “You cannot control the first thought, you CAN control the second”.

& by the by? 😉 WELCOME to the community, Clarry 😎

It would depend, IME/IMO, if they’re really flashbacks (reliving) or intrusive thoughts &/or memories (thoughts & memories).

In my experience, memories are far more gutting & pervasive, than flashbacks. Flashbacks are fairly easily sorted, as they’re they past presenting as if present, there are soooo many ways to disrupt that “misfile”/ “misfire”. EMDR is the most well known, but there are thousands upon thousands of ways to ground out in the present, actively combatting the dual reality in the moment. So that the past takes a back seat. Meanwhile EMDR doesn’t just disrupt the misfire, but actively refiles the past as a memory, rather than a current moment.

Intrusive thoughts, on the other hand, get far more complicated. Like regret/remorse/sorrow/mourning & other heartbreak… I think Frank DeLaney said it best, in relation to my own life.

But other intrusive thoughts are nearly -or far more- gutting, shredding, shattering.

I, personally, only know the ADHD trick of “You cannot control the first thought, you CAN control the second”.

& by the by? 😉 WELCOME to the community, Clarry 😎

Thank you very much for your message, LuckiLee. I reacted like this to the general anaesthetic. While the 'movies' were neither flashback or recollection, they were possibly influenced by fears of illness, and other troubles. There were also a lot of strobing, disorientating patterns. I think I'll be able to cope next time as I'll prepare calming strategies and distractions.

hello clarry. welcome to the forum.

you don't say how long since the surgery. surgical anesthetics are potent drugs which can affect a body for a significant length of time. don't accuse me of experting, but i've been told that post-surgical dementia is fairly typical. it lasts longer for some than for others.

that said. . .
i have known people whose repressed memories, et al, were set loose by surgery and/or near death experiences. they were not able to get the proverbial genie back in the bottle and needed psychotherapy to learn how to deal instead of repressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back