• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

High Anxiety And The Medication Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamCatcher

New Here
Last November I went onto Medicare, but did not enroll for drug coverage.
Recently I tried to enroll for state assistance to get my prescriptions, because without them I have deteriorated quite badly.
I called and made the appt. I met the therapist for initial intake who added Borderline Personality Disorder to my diagnosis of PTSD. Made an appt to see him again. Also I got an appt to see a psychiatrist but had to wait a month for that.
On my second meeting with the therapist he immediately asked me to recollect abuse events. I cried a lot at both appts. I have very few memories of my entire childhood, and very few of the actual abuse.
Although I understand there is supposed to be some benefit to reliving these horrible things, I cannot. Or I guess if I' to be honest I WILL not. But I left the appt with the intention of cooperating because I need my prescriptions and I do want to get better.
So yesterday I went to see the psychiatrist to get my scripts. I checked in, paid, and waited in a room full of people for an hr and a half. By this time, my anxiety level was sky high. I asked how much longer and found they had not pulled my chart and passed it to the doc. When I was finaly called back I found that the "doctor" was a physician assistant, and had a student with her who seemed to feel the need to walk right behind me down the hall. In the appt I was asked the standard questions, which I answered while crying. I lied about using marijuana, which has been helping for the months that I haven't had meds. Then I had to ee the nurse, who took my blood pressure and promptly drug tested me.
This was too much. I left, went home in total panic, and called my old therapist. She convinced me to go back, which I did. When I got back, the "doc" told me I should be living in a cheaper place (my mortgage is 860 a month, and my disability payment is $1122, utilities average 200, doesn't leave much) she berated me in front of her student for failing my drug test, and said I wouldn't get meds if I failed again, and wrote a prescription for effexor and buspar which she said would be covered.
Back to the waiting room I go. Then she comes out and says that because I MIGHT be eligible for medicare part D they can't help with med payments, and tells me in the middle of the waiting room full of people that if I stopped spending money on "other things" I would be able to pay for this $280 worth of meds, which will keep me out of the hospital for ONE month.
Am I wrong to feel completely hopeless, humiliated, and totally enraged about this?
I don't want to go back there and cancelled all my future appts. I called my old T and asked if I could see her once a month, but she hasn't returned my call. I am paying out of pocket to see my old psychiatrist, which will use my entire $200 worth of savings.
3.5 yrs of treatment and I am in what feels like the worst place ever. I feel worthless, beyond help, and don't have much drive to carry on. I know that with meds I will feel better, so I am holding on, but this is terrible. No meds, no therapist, no family or support, just me and my dog. I just want to stay home.
Any advice or anything would be great.
Thanks all.

Dream -

First, I am so sorry that you were treated so badly. Personally, I find it strange that they drug tested you since nothing they gave you was a controlled substance.

I would suggest that you go to your nearest pharmacy and ask them about the drug assistance programs. Each manufacturer has a phone number or website that you can apply through based on your income - normally you can get the med (without medication insurance coverage) at a reduced rate or free.

Again, I am so very sorry you were treated this way - it is not fair or justified.

Thanks SunnyBrook,

I printed out the application for patient assistance from Wyeth, the makers of Effexor and Pristiq, and will be atking it with me to my doctors appointment today.

I guess this was a real vent! I reread my post, and it is quite long! Whew, thanks so much for reading it all!

If you're on Medicare, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just also enroll in Part D (prescription drug coverage). The cost of enrolling in Part D is considerably less expensive than having to pay for your prescriptions out of pocket. Also, in my state if you are low income you can get assistance from the state to pay for your Part D coverage and being enrolled in that program automatically makes your copays for prescriptions even less. I don't know if that particular program is available in other states, but definitely worth looking into. Personally, I have Medicare including prescription coverage and my meds are extremely affordable. For instance, I pay $2.40 per month for my Effexor XR.

Hi DreamCatcher

First, I'm sorry that you are having such a difficult time. I, too, am at that stage of feeling hopeless, worthless, and alone. I feel like such a burden to my husband and daughter. I wanted to let you know that I understand exactly what you mean.

I am on Medicare Part D, starting in April of this year. At first it was ok, but by August I was already in the "Coverage Gap", which means that neither my insurance nor Medicare pays anything towards my prescription drug costs. I have to pay full price until I reach $4350 out of pocket total for this year. Most of my meds are name brands, so the coverage gap point was reached earlier than if I'd been on generics. So now I have to pay out over $600/month for the meds I'm on, which greatly added to feelings of worthlessness.

I hope things work out well for you! Keep us informed. We are here for you.
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

General Information on the Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) or "Extra Help"
Medicare beneficiaries who have limited income and resources may qualify for extra help to pay for prescription drugs costs. This low-income subsidy from Medicare provides financial assistance for beneficiaries who have limited income and resources. Those who are eligible for this low-income subsidy will get help paying for their monthly premium, yearly deductible, prescription coinsurance and copayments and no gap in coverage.

Some people are automatically eligible for the low-income subsidy. Those include people who are: full benefit dual eligibles; SSI recipients with Medicare; Medicare Savings Programs participants.

Some people must apply through SSA. This includes Medicare beneficiaries with income below 150% FPL who meets an asset test—i.e.—beneficiaries who have a yearly income (in 2009) below $16,245 ($21,855 for a married person living with a spouse and no other dependents) and resources (in 2009) less than $12,510 ($25,010 for a married person living with a spouse and no other dependents).

Generally, dual eligibles and others deemed eligible for low-income subsidy pay no Part D plan premiums or deductibles, but pay $1.10 or $2.40 for generic drugs and $3.20 or $6.00 for brand-name drugs, depending on their income.
I took this information from the US Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services website. Apparently the LIS is not unique to the state I live in, but rather a federal program. If you qualify for the LIS there is no "coverage gap".

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back