• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Horror Movies and PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWeepingRose

Confident
Many people wouldn't watch horror movies. For me Horror Movies help me. This may sound strange to everyone. For me, it's an escape. I can watch something where it takes my mind off of things. None of it triggers me which scares me, but I always feel relief watching them because I sort of can relate. A scary killer is after a helpless victim. This would trigger me, right? I would think so. Only for me, the survivor always ends up living at the end and becoming a stronger person. It reminds me that I am strong and that I am a survivor... not a victim. I tell myself this a lot. "You are a survivor. Not a victim."

"The girl in the horror movie lived. She became stronger."
"What the girl experienced doesn't define her. What I went through doesn't define me."
"Bad things happened to me, sometimes beyond your control. But you will be okay. You will get through this."
"You are a survivor. You were traumatized, but you'll be okay. You're okay now."
"I relate with this person and what they are going through in the movie. It makes me feel better that I am not alone."

I know many people will understand this and that's fine. It helps me though. Everyone copes with PTSD differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back