• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General How Did You Get Through To Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ang

New Here
Hi,

I hope I am not double posting but I haven't seen his topic in another thread yet.
To cut a (very) long story short my ex might have ptsd, he certainly seemed to be displaying some of the symptoms. Lately he started keeping me at a distance (no contact, I was to leave him alone while he tried to sort himself out) then he sent me a message announcing it was over. And that was it, total shut down ever since.
It might be a bit late for me now :frown: but I was wondering how everybody else got their loved ones to seek help or at least accept that they stand by their side? I know everybody is different and will react to different things, but reading the posts, it seems that a lot of the ptsd sufferers think they're ruining their other half's life and that they are a burden. How did the "spouses" manage not to be kept at arm's length? Confrontation, patience, respect of their wish for isolation? Mine didn't talk much about his issues, was terribly stubborn, and my attempts to talk things through towards the end were met with anger; I think he felt it like an intrusion. :wall:

Hi Ang,

I'm sorry to hear how you have been treated. Sufferers of PTSD get caught in the worst of worlds, suffering at the same time as torturing, and the worst part is they think they are all alone! To start the healing, the best thing you could do is to get your ex to this site and begin reading these posts. Just like you, he will start reading about others that are going through the exact same things he is. When my wife (who suffers from PTSD) started reading these posts, our world began to turn. Things are not normal, and may never be, but at least she began to see that she was not alone in her feelings, and that she was not crazy.

Good luck Ang, and even if you can't get him here, know that there are many here that know just what YOU are going through, too.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back