• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

MVA How do you deal with driving triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveHarrington

MyPTSD Pro
To clarify, I had ptsd before my car accident. Since my car accident I go into full blown panic/crying episodes whenever I am approached in a near-miss and/or sudden/unexpected fashion from the same direction in which I was hit. I can’t even count how many times I’ve had these incidents, fortunately no accidents, but a number of near misses. I can even be triggered if I’m not the one driving and something happens in that direction. Last year I was triggered and it took me days to calm down. This was 11 months ago.

Tonight it happened again, but this time with a train. I was only driving about 35mph when as soon as I started to cross the tracks the Lights went on and the gates started to come down. Instinctually I looked to my right and saw the train, and it seemed awfully close considering the lights had just gone on. I was just in shock for about a minute and then lost it, crying the whole way home.

I know how to deal with my CSA triggers, I’m just not sure how to deal with this.

Thanks.

Not sure if this helps but my brain finds ways to become triggered while driving. Traffic lights. People walking. Just a crazy amount. To help me on my drive to work (so I wasnt panicked when I got there), I started to name stuff I saw outloud. Lake, red, Nevada (licence plate), sky, cloud, red, umrella, etc. Just kept name things that I saw outloud. It kept me grounded. Kept the panic away and it kept my eyes moving around so that it didn't fixate on what was panicking me at the time.

For me,driving something large like a SUV or large truck has helped my driving triggers.I think maybe because they make me feel more large and powerful and safe compared to driving a small car which makes me feel small and vulnerable.

IDK the reasons for sure,I just know it has helped me.

For me,driving something large like a SUV or large truck has helped my driving triggers.I think maybe because they make me feel more large and powerful and safe compared to driving a small car which makes me feel small and vulnerable.

IDK the reasons for sure,I just know it has helped me.

I’m looking into getting a SUV later this year, I currently drive a 2 door coupe. It might help because big cars do scare me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back