• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you process trauma emotionally in therapy?

LeiaFlower

Confident
My therapist mentioned that I cognitively processed my trauma; however, I didn’t emotionally process my trauma. How can I emotionally process things I feel disconnected / desensitized towards? What steps do I need to take in order to emotionally process?

My therapist mentioned that I cognitively processed my trauma; however, I didn’t emotionally process my trauma. How can I emotionally process things I feel disconnected / desensitized towards? What steps do I need to take in order to emotionally process?
@LeiaFlower, I appreciate you reaching out and sharing your concerns. Emotionally processing trauma can be a challenging process, particularly when you feel disconnected or desensitized. Let's explore some steps you can take to begin the emotional processing journey:

1. Validate your emotions: It's important to acknowledge and accept any emotions that arise when thinking about your trauma. Allow yourself to experience and validate those feelings, even if they seem overwhelming or confusing.

2. Create a safe space: Find a calm and secure environment where you feel comfortable expressing your emotions. This space could be your therapy session, a supportive friend or family member, or a safe space you create at home.

3. Engage in self-reflection: Reflect on your trauma and its impact on your emotions. Journaling, meditation, or talking with a trusted person can be helpful in exploring your thoughts and feelings surrounding the event.

4. Use grounding techniques: When emotions become overwhelming, grounding techniques can help bring you back to the present moment. These techniques can include deep breathing exercises, focusing on your senses, or repeating affirmations to yourself.

5. Seek support: Consider reaching out to a trauma therapist or counselor who specializes in various trauma therapy models, such as EMDR, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, or Internal Family Systems. These therapies can help you process and integrate your emotions.

Remember, emotional processing is a personal journey, and it may take time and patience. It's crucial to listen to your own needs along the way and practice self-compassion. If you need further support, don't hesitate to reach out.

@LeiaFlower, I appreciate you reaching out and sharing your concerns. Emotionally processing trauma can be a challenging process, particularly when you feel disconnected or desensitized. Let's explore some steps you can take to begin the emotional processing journey:

1. Validate your emotions: It's important to acknowledge and accept any emotions that arise when thinking about your trauma. Allow yourself to experience and validate those feelings, even if they seem overwhelming or confusing.

2. Create a safe space: Find a calm and secure environment where you feel comfortable expressing your emotions. This space could be your therapy session, a supportive friend or family member, or a safe space you create at home.

3. Engage in self-reflection: Reflect on your trauma and its impact on your emotions. Journaling, meditation, or talking with a trusted person can be helpful in exploring your thoughts and feelings surrounding the event.

4. Use grounding techniques: When emotions become overwhelming, grounding techniques can help bring you back to the present moment. These techniques can include deep breathing exercises, focusing on your senses, or repeating affirmations to yourself.

5. Seek support: Consider reaching out to a trauma therapist or counselor who specializes in various trauma therapy models, such as EMDR, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, or Internal Family Systems. These therapies can help you process and integrate your emotions.

Remember, emotional processing is a personal journey, and it may take time and patience. It's crucial to listen to your own needs along the way and practice self-compassion. If you need further support, don't hesitate to reach out.
I’m unsure how this works with an old post. I continued with the advice of validating my emotions, creating space for my emotions, validating my emotions, and using grounding techniques. However, I still feel stuck with processing in therapy. At home I am able to emotionally connect to past traumas but in therapy I’m emotionally numb/disconnected. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I’m unsure how this works with an old post. I continued with the advice of validating my emotions, creating space for my emotions, validating my emotions, and using grounding techniques. However, I still feel stuck with processing in therapy. At home I am able to emotionally connect to past traumas but in therapy I’m emotionally numb/disconnected. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
@LeiaFlower, thank you for sharing your continued experiences. It can be frustrating when you feel stuck in therapy and unable to emotionally connect to your past traumas. It's important to remember that therapy is a unique space where different dynamics can come into play, influencing your emotional experience. It may be helpful to explore a few possible factors that could be contributing to feeling emotionally numb or disconnected in therapy:

1. Trust and safety: Developing trust and feeling safe with your therapist is crucial for emotional processing. Reflect on your therapeutic relationship. Do you feel comfortable and supported in therapy? If not, it may be worth discussing your concerns with your therapist or exploring the possibility of finding a different therapist who better meets your needs.

2. Defense mechanisms: Emotional numbing or disconnection can be defense mechanisms that protect you from overwhelming emotions. These defenses may have served a purpose in the past, but they can hinder your ability to fully process trauma. It could be helpful to discuss these defenses with your therapist and explore ways to gently work through them.

3. Timing and readiness: The process of emotional processing can vary for each individual, and it may not always happen in a linear manner. It's possible that you may not be fully ready to process certain emotions in therapy. It's okay to take breaks or shift the focus of therapy to other areas until you feel more prepared to address those emotions.

4. Therapy approach: Different therapy approaches may resonate differently with individuals. If you feel that your current therapy approach is not helping facilitate emotional processing, it could be worth discussing alternative approaches with your therapist or seeking a second opinion from another trauma therapist.

Remember, there is no one right way to process trauma, and it's important to be patient and compassionate with yourself throughout this process. It may take time and exploration to find what works best for you. If you're unsure of what you might be doing wrong, consider discussing your concerns openly with your therapist to explore new strategies or approaches.

@LeiaFlower, thank you for sharing your continued experiences. It can be frustrating when you feel stuck in therapy and unable to emotionally connect to your past traumas. It's important to remember that therapy is a unique space where different dynamics can come into play, influencing your emotional experience. It may be helpful to explore a few possible factors that could be contributing to feeling emotionally numb or disconnected in therapy:

1. Trust and safety: Developing trust and feeling safe with your therapist is crucial for emotional processing. Reflect on your therapeutic relationship. Do you feel comfortable and supported in therapy? If not, it may be worth discussing your concerns with your therapist or exploring the possibility of finding a different therapist who better meets your needs.

2. Defense mechanisms: Emotional numbing or disconnection can be defense mechanisms that protect you from overwhelming emotions. These defenses may have served a purpose in the past, but they can hinder your ability to fully process trauma. It could be helpful to discuss these defenses with your therapist and explore ways to gently work through them.

3. Timing and readiness: The process of emotional processing can vary for each individual, and it may not always happen in a linear manner. It's possible that you may not be fully ready to process certain emotions in therapy. It's okay to take breaks or shift the focus of therapy to other areas until you feel more prepared to address those emotions.

4. Therapy approach: Different therapy approaches may resonate differently with individuals. If you feel that your current therapy approach is not helping facilitate emotional processing, it could be worth discussing alternative approaches with your therapist or seeking a second opinion from another trauma therapist.

Remember, there is no one right way to process trauma, and it's important to be patient and compassionate with yourself throughout this process. It may take time and exploration to find what works best for you. If you're unsure of what you might be doing wrong, consider discussing your concerns openly with your therapist to explore new strategies or approaches.
I generally feel safe in the therapy space though it at times is triggering when my abuser was a female and my therapist is a female. Sometimes I feel unsafe. I don’t know what else to do to stop being scared to be vulnerable with her. How do I approach working on defense mechanisms? What does working on defense mechanisms look like?

I generally feel safe in the therapy space though it at times is triggering when my abuser was a female and my therapist is a female. Sometimes I feel unsafe. I don’t know what else to do to stop being scared to be vulnerable with her. How do I approach working on defense mechanisms? What does working on defense mechanisms look like?
@LeiaFlower, I understand that it can be triggering and challenging to work with a therapist who is the same gender as your abuser. It's important to communicate this with your therapist openly, as they may be able to adjust their approach or offer additional support to help you feel more safe and secure during therapy sessions. Trust and rapport are vital for effective therapy, so it's important for your therapist to understand your concerns.

When it comes to working on defense mechanisms, the process can vary from person to person. It involves exploring and understanding the ways in which you protect yourself from overwhelming emotions or memories related to your trauma. Here are a few general steps to consider:

1. Awareness: Begin by developing awareness of your defense mechanisms. This involves recognizing when you use them, how they show up, and the purpose they serve in protecting you from emotional pain.

2. Exploration: Work with your therapist to explore the origins of these defense mechanisms. Together, you can delve into the specific trauma-related experiences or situations that led to the development of these defenses.

3. Building coping skills: Identify and practice healthy coping skills that help regulate your emotions and manage distress. This could involve deep breathing exercises, grounding techniques, mindfulness, or other self-soothing strategies. Your therapist can guide you in learning and implementing these skills.

4. Process emotions gradually: Work with your therapist to develop a safe and supportive environment where you can gradually start to process difficult emotions related to your trauma. This process can occur at a pace that feels manageable for you.

5. Challenging and modifying defense mechanisms: With the guidance of your therapist, explore alternative ways of responding to triggering situations or emotions. This might involve challenging unhelpful thoughts, experimenting with new behaviors, or practicing vulnerability in therapy.

It's important to remember that working on defense mechanisms is a collaborative process between you and your therapist. It requires trust, patience, and open communication. If at any point you feel overwhelmed or unsafe, it's important to express these feelings to your therapist and discuss potential adjustments to ensure your safety and well-being.

@LeiaFlower, I understand that it can be triggering and challenging to work with a therapist who is the same gender as your abuser. It's important to communicate this with your therapist openly, as they may be able to adjust their approach or offer additional support to help you feel more safe and secure during therapy sessions. Trust and rapport are vital for effective therapy, so it's important for your therapist to understand your concerns.

When it comes to working on defense mechanisms, the process can vary from person to person. It involves exploring and understanding the ways in which you protect yourself from overwhelming emotions or memories related to your trauma. Here are a few general steps to consider:

1. Awareness: Begin by developing awareness of your defense mechanisms. This involves recognizing when you use them, how they show up, and the purpose they serve in protecting you from emotional pain.

2. Exploration: Work with your therapist to explore the origins of these defense mechanisms. Together, you can delve into the specific trauma-related experiences or situations that led to the development of these defenses.

3. Building coping skills: Identify and practice healthy coping skills that help regulate your emotions and manage distress. This could involve deep breathing exercises, grounding techniques, mindfulness, or other self-soothing strategies. Your therapist can guide you in learning and implementing these skills.

4. Process emotions gradually: Work with your therapist to develop a safe and supportive environment where you can gradually start to process difficult emotions related to your trauma. This process can occur at a pace that feels manageable for you.

5. Challenging and modifying defense mechanisms: With the guidance of your therapist, explore alternative ways of responding to triggering situations or emotions. This might involve challenging unhelpful thoughts, experimenting with new behaviors, or practicing vulnerability in therapy.

It's important to remember that working on defense mechanisms is a collaborative process between you and your therapist. It requires trust, patience, and open communication. If at any point you feel overwhelmed or unsafe, it's important to express these feelings to your therapist and discuss potential adjustments to ensure your safety and well-being.
Okay, thank you. I’ll reach out to her about brainstorming defense mechanisms.

Okay, thank you. I’ll reach out to her about brainstorming defense mechanisms.
You're welcome, @LeiaFlower! That sounds like a great plan. By reaching out to your therapist and discussing your concerns, you can work together to explore and brainstorm strategies to address and modify your defense mechanisms. Remember, therapy is a collaborative process, and your therapist is there to support you. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out again. Take care!

I completely forgot to revisit this topic. When you mentioned developing awareness, do you have questions that I can ask myself? I might be overlooking on the site but I’m not seeing a worksheet or article about this. I wanted to get started on this but I am unsure how to start.

I completely forgot to revisit this topic. When you mentioned developing awareness, do you have questions that I can ask myself? I might be overlooking on the site but I’m not seeing a worksheet or article about this. I wanted to get started on this but I am unsure how to start.
@LeiaFlower, understanding and recognizing your defense mechanisms is an essential step in the therapeutic process. While I don't have a specific worksheet available, I can provide you with some questions to help you begin exploring and developing awareness of your defense mechanisms:

1. Reflect on past experiences: What situations or events tend to trigger strong emotional reactions in you? How do you typically respond to these triggers?

2. Patterns of behavior: Are there recurring patterns in how you react to challenging situations or emotions? Do you notice yourself engaging in specific behaviors or thought patterns when you feel stressed or overwhelmed?

3. Emotional responses: How do you typically cope with intense emotions such as fear, sadness, anger, or shame? Do you find yourself avoiding or numbing certain emotions?

4. Relationship dynamics: Consider how you interact with others in your relationships. Are there particular ways in which you protect yourself from getting hurt or feeling vulnerable in relationships?

5. Physical sensations: Pay attention to any physical cues or sensations that arise when you feel distressed or triggered. For example, do you experience tension, rapid heartbeat, or other physical symptoms when facing challenging emotions?

6. Self-talk: What internal dialogue or self-critical thoughts do you notice when you're in difficult situations? How do these thoughts influence your emotions and behaviors?

By reflecting on these questions and observing your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors in different situations, you can start to gain insight into your defense mechanisms. This increased awareness can help you and your therapist explore these protective strategies further and work towards modifying them to promote emotional growth and healing. If you have any more questions or need further guidance as you embark on this journey of self-discovery, please feel free to reach out.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back