How have your symptoms changed during lockdown (improved/ worsened) ?

So, I have a friend whose PTSD symptoms have pretty much disappeared during the Covid pandemic and lockdowns.

I'm trying to convince her that the pandemic and lockdowns have changed everyone's symptoms in weird and unexpected ways.

For me, some of my symptoms have improved (less social anxiety - I'm loving the whole stay at home thing) but I've had terrible depression symptoms, worse than I've ever had before.

What expected and unexpected symptom changes have you noticed during the last 12 months?

Thanks! 🙂

Rosebud

MyPTSD Pro
I have had more work, but less ways to cope (as with everyone). It's become 'normal' to expect to likely need to care for covid positive people, and I no longer fear it or giving it to someone as much (I didn't know how I could ever live with that). I missed social and physical contact; now I dread what would have been resuming my life, it feels like it was empty and I was seeing through rose-colored glasses. I am more reckless for myself or lacking self-care (wasn't great before), but I am too tired to not feel scattered. Idk if it's depression proper but definitely increased stress and decreased resiliency. I feel like a walking cardboard cut out but most of my symptoms are kind of muted, like wake up every hour, nightmares, some intrusive thoughts but they don't hold as much value/ seem like a long time ago, except lots of reminders and avoidance. Heart jumps into my throat quite a bit. Pretty worn out and tired. I definitely have that feeling of a sense of impending doom, like the feeling during and after other traumas.

Last edited:

brat17

MyPTSD Pro
I seem to have less anxiety with the staying at home thing. My mood also gets lower at times. It is hard having nothing to look forward to. I sleep a lot. I have become even more lazy. (I was never a lazy person) I have gotten to where I dont even want to go buy groceries. A couple weeks ago I sent my husband alone.

Chitoshi

MyPTSD Pro
My symptoms haven't changed, per se, but I have worsened over the course of this pandemic. Working in a school during a pandemic took all of the life out of me. I have started on antidepressants for the third time in my life, my xanax prescription was doubled, and as far as stress cups? I'm not even sure I have a cup from which to pour out of anymore.

I'm running on fumes, and as a psychologist working in the schools a lot of my teacher colleagues are in the same boat. I am caring for them as well as the children, and I have had a rough go of it all around.

kkd

Learning
TLDR - more irritability and some heightened sensitivity to feeling like my agency is being infringed on. I have had basically NO family/holiday exacerbations since family gatherings were off the table this year, which was nice.

I had some almost dormant reactions come back when the pandemic was starting to be taken seriously in my state. Mostly because of other people's new stress over-reactions and the sudden loss of autonomy and self-determination, and being shut in with same people 24/7 (all of which reminded me so badly of my Stuff). Heck, that's what drove me to finally do an Intro post on here.

A few months in I guess I got used to it and it leveled out as just irritating and boring. My fuse returned to its usual, pretty long length. This was while work got more hectic.

Now that my state's "opening" to normal levels next week and masks are going to be voluntary, I'm sliding back into being damn irritable. I am on the administrative side of healthcare so I am pissed about the likelihood of another shutdown due to opening too early. And thus prolonging the general bullshit.

Not proud of this, but I'm even more irritated with the general public (not infected, not frontline healthcare, not working with the public in service industry, not even having lost anyone close to it, etc.) doing this "One year retrospective" and talking about how they are "traumatized" because of simply living during COVID/pandemic times.
When they get into describing it they mostly describe fear of illness and/or loss of daily life normal and how everything is boring and uncertain now. This isn't the "worst thing I've ever experienced," not even close, although it has parts that remind me of those things. And my stuff pales in comparison to plenty others' stuff, I know.

Maybe lots of them have other prior trauma and they're also just not doing well with the added stress, but they don't say so. So it SOUNDS like it's just "these unprecedented times" they're talking about.

Aside from losing close friends or family to it, losing one's livelihood (and not expecting to find other employment), becoming homeless because of this, or putting onesself at high risk of infection daily, I just can't imagine how this is "the worst". And so much so that it would rise to the level of "trauma." STRESS, yes, definitely.

My state also experienced a declared "natural disaster" due to the polar vortex, which lots of people also described as "the worst they'd ever live through" despite being (like me) so lucky as to never lose power, gas, or water. Just being shut in and worrying IF those would happen. While having food in the pantry & a roof overhead. For most of us it wasn't even close to a life and death thing, although it was not pleasant. Again STRESS seems like an appropriate word, but to say it's "traumatic" seems like overstating (to me).

Not sure if I'm under-reacting/minimizing or if they are overreacting and being dramatic. I try not to engage in those conversations or watch too much of those news topics. I did try to get Spouse's perspective on this & he thought I was being harsh. I grant that that's 100% possible and it makes me wonder what it would have been like to have a life where essentially being (kind of) "grounded" and bored is "the worst" thing ever.

I'm just glad I have work and can choose to be in office or at home because too much unstructured time would not be good right now.