• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How is it possible that therapy can last for years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WillowH

I am trapped in a room full of darkness. I have a torch, but it’s just not bright enough. I can see a path ahead, but I can’t see all the way down. I know others have walked the path before, so I know it is possible. My torch isn’t bright enough to know how, so it may not be safe for me. I could choose to follow them, carrying my torch and walking this path blindly. But that would be stressful. I would be constantly watching for danger and splits in the road, as my torch would only light the radius around me. Blind to the future, and forgetful of the past.

Such is the situation life puts us in when we look towards the future. A simple solution is to ask those who have already reached the end, unless the path is actually physical and we literally can’t reach them. In recent history, the development of the Internet has served to bridge that gap and many people have benefited from that. Until society invents a better way of approaching the future, our time period will have to make-do with simply asking others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forever Therapy = A basic human need, IMO. For good counsel.

For some that counsel is made up of by friends/family.
For others it’s by highly trained & educated professionals.
It all depends on the resources at hand

No government in the world exists without a whole TEAM of experts, in various fields. Most of us? Don’t need a team, but we still need wise counsel. Both personally, and professionally. We’ve either made those contacts in our personal life, and have no need to hire it out, or? We hire it out. That simple.

From a strictly PTSD Perspective = If a single car crash can take 6 months to sort? How long should thousands of traumas take to sort? That’s looking at years, full stop. A lifetime? Possibly, but rarely. Which is kind of cool, to be honest.

Last edited:
Interesting. The response that I got seems so detached. Like it’s floating in the air, dissociated from all surroundings. So theoretical. I should have predicted this.
Now that I think about it, the nature of that response is just like my own brain. Very detached, confusing to understand, logical. Reading it again, it actually does have a lot of emotion, so maybe less logical? Ohh, maybe that’s why I had trouble understanding it. I can’t process emotions at all because of my disorder. Gosh, my brain is so unhelpful sometimes. Now when I have to use logic though.
I wonder about the dissociation still. Could it have just been the way I wrote my comment. If so, that’s still interesting because it tells me the way others respond to my unique way of communicating. Or, could it be because this particular person has a similar mental disorder to me? I now know how much my parents influenced me, but are they the reason why I’m so dissociative?
Ugh, too much to think about from just a few sentances. Being a therapist has got to be overload. And knowing my brain I could be here for hours. I’ve had enough avoidance, time to get back to my life.

I liken it to a beaver dam. It's been a long time since the original injury and all this "stuff" has been added and piled up and there's all the dirt and leaves and other junk that got swept into it, plus it got added to so it could hold back everything behind it.

Therapy is like taking that thing apart. Stick by stick, piece by piece. As you do you find other sunken bits and old dams that were covered.

PTSD is the same. Taking it apart gets harder the longer its been there and the more stuff there is piled and tangled up.

That and I realized - my T is a guide. I am led to self realization. Yes we do EMDR but even that - they help start the process, but its me that does the reprocessing work. I can't stand back and expect someone to "fix" me, I have to be an invested part of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back