How much of a role do you think attitude plays in recovery?

Justmehere

Yeah mindset, worldview, framing of recovery... but also plain attitude.

I'm not sure enough attention gets paid to it. The framework tends to be PTSD happens to us and recovery is all about how we respond,.. but I'm also wondering how attitude affects even getting triggered or facing symptom spikes in the first place.

I'm not implying one just needs to have a good attitude to avoid a trigger or not have symptoms, if only it was so easy... but I can't help but wonder if it plays a role in the triggered symptoms taking off in the first place.

Mach123

MyPTSD Pro
I think as you get well it becomes a factor because I very much equate it to positive thinking. If I’m depressed I don’t have a good attitude which sounds idiotic but I think you know what I mean. Once you become not depressed or less depressed I think you start naturally to work along these lines and it’s very helpful.

ladee

MyPTSD Pro
I don't know if it plays a part in the prevention of symptoms, but I know from my own experience it plays a part in how I'm going to handle or manage those symptoms.

My attitude is 'hit the ground running'. Face it. Own what is mine to deal with. Don't fight the process. Be willing to find all resources available. Be willing to ask for help, get help, and utilize that help.

I never liked feeling like a victim. I was. But that didn't mean I was going to remain one.

This journey is hard enough without fighting the process. Just my two cents.

intothelight

I think that having a positive attitude can help with recovery, but it isn't the main means to the end. There are so many advocates that positivity is the answer to all of life's problems and just by changing our attitude, we change the course of our outlook and our lives. The problem with this simplified method is that with PTSD, a positive outlook is something that has to be learned and cultivated. To think that it is a silver bullet, can leave a person feeling like a failure heaped upon the guilt pile of other over-simplified pseudo psycho methods.

Honestly, using the old tried and true methods such as CBT to change thinking patterns is a way to see things in a more realistic and at times a positive light. Life isn't all rainbows and unicorns, and the first time I realized that positives and negatives could exist in my cognition at the same time was almost a shock. Found out that I came out of remission last week and that is a huge negative, but the positive was there are at least seven new drugs that have been developed since the last time I had treatment. The realistic side said its going to be tough, but doable as there are options. Positivity has a place as long as it is grounded in reality and is not the ultimate end game.

Being "Polly Anna" is just a different form of the problem of denial or magical thinking.

grit

MyPTSD Pro
In my experience and probably why it took me a long time to even recognize I had PTSD is probably more about my attitude toward me (inside and outside) that made a major difference. However, I would think most people may have different meaning of attitude. To me it means 100% acceptance of my experience and its consequences. For example, when I learned in therapy, I have some form of dissociation. I was not surprised or saddened. I felt like wow! it makes sense I would react that way knowing what happened to me as a child but still to be acting like that and not being aware of - I was in awe to know and was open to accept rather than see it as pathology, something wrong, must be fixed. And my attitude is based on what is important to me. How I feel about myself vs how I think others may feel about me vs objectively how others may feel about me. All in all. My attitude is to accept who I am, express in language when I am off line, and let others have similar abilities and let them think of what they think of me and I will do mine. Just pure acceptance but that does not mean I do not change...I accept change to occur and sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

joeylittle

Administrator
Yeah mindset, worldview, framing of recovery... but also plain attitude.
Gotcha. I'm with @intothelight - I don't think that it's necessary to be positive, or optimistic, or any other synonym for 'good'. I'm a depressive, so those concepts are difficult for me, anyway.

I do think that a mindset allowing one to acknowledge the potential for change is important. A view that can accept setbacks without being derailed by them. I know that for myself, if/when I can't maintain some kind of grasp on these concepts, I get overwhelmed more easily.

Maybe another way to say it is - when I can remember that recovery is a process, that relieves some stress I commonly carry around the idea, "I'll never get better than this". Relieving that stress helps take down the level on my stress cup; that, in turn, helps everything else.

Freida

Sponsor
hmmm.... I'm kind of surprised at where my mind went with this question....

I don't think a positive attitude is necessary - but an attitude of being willing to do the work is. I don't really think I've ever been "positive" about therapy, but that could be because I translate positive as happy, enjoying, hopeful. And ya - that has never been me doing this ptsd crap

I am willing to do the work because it has to be done if I'm going to survive. But looking back I can't find a moment where I think of it as something I want to do. It's something I have to do. I guess I think about it more like going to the dentist to fix a bad tooth --it has to be done to make things better but its going to be miserable.