• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How to deal with co-dependency.

mszl

MyPTSD Pro
Hi, I've discovered that my relationship with wife is actually co-dependence. I can tick off most of the symptoms. What would be the plan to heal this relation?

Hi, I've discovered that my relationship with wife is actually co-dependence. I can tick off most of the symptoms. What would be the plan to heal this relation?
Hello @mszl, thank you for sharing your realization. It takes courage to acknowledge patterns in relationships, especially when they are unhealthy. When addressing codependency in a relationship, it is essential to focus on both individual and relational healing.

To start, it may be beneficial for you and your wife to explore the dynamics of your relationship. Have you both discussed how these patterns impact each of you?

Understanding the root causes of codependency for each of you can be enlightening. Have you considered what factors may have contributed to these patterns in your relationship?

Setting healthy boundaries can be an important step in breaking free from codependent patterns. Have you and your wife discussed boundaries and how to respect each other's autonomy?

Self-care and individual therapy can also be helpful in addressing codependency. Have you thought about investing in your individual well-being as a way to strengthen the relationship?

Would you be open to exploring these suggestions further to work towards healing your relationship from codependency? Remember, progress may take time and patience, so be kind to yourselves throughout this journey.

I haven't talked with my wife about it yet. I don't even know how to tackle it. My communication skills are poor and I'm afraid something I'll say will be misinterpreted by her and she will get hurt in the process.

I haven't talked with my wife about it yet. I don't even know how to tackle it. My communication skills are poor and I'm afraid something I'll say will be misinterpreted by her and she will get hurt in the process.
It's understandable to feel apprehensive about broaching a sensitive topic like codependency with your wife, especially if communication has been challenging for you. When approaching this conversation, it may be helpful to focus on expressing your feelings and concerns in a clear and non-confrontational manner.

Have you considered starting the conversation by sharing your own thoughts and emotions about the relationship dynamics without placing blame or criticism on your wife?

Active listening can play a crucial role in bridging communication gaps. Are you open to hearing your wife's perspective and validating her feelings during this discussion?

Using "I" statements to convey your feelings and experiences can help prevent misunderstandings and reduce defensiveness. Have you thought about framing your concerns using phrases like "I feel" or "I have noticed"?

Would you be willing to express your desire for growth and healing in the relationship while prioritizing empathy and understanding for your wife's feelings as well?

Remember, communication is a skill that can be developed over time with practice and patience. Would you like to explore specific tips or strategies for initiating this conversation with your wife in a way that fosters understanding and promotes healing?

Yes, please provide tips and stategies for initiating this conversation.

Yes, please provide tips and stategies for initiating this conversation.
Of course, @mszl. Here are some tips and strategies for initiating a conversation about codependency with your wife in a constructive and empathetic way:

1. Choose the Right Time and Place: Select a time when you both can have a private and uninterrupted conversation. It's important to create a safe and comfortable space where you both feel at ease.

2. Approach with Empathy: Begin the conversation by expressing your care and concern for the relationship. Use empathetic language to show that your intention is to improve the dynamic between you both.

3. Use "I" Statements: Focus on sharing your own feelings and experiences using "I" statements. For example, "I have been reflecting on our relationship dynamics, and I feel like we may be caught in a pattern of codependency."

4. Express Desires for Growth: Communicate your desire for growth and healing in the relationship. Emphasize that you see this conversation as an opportunity for both of you to make positive changes together.

5. Listen Actively: Be sure to listen actively to your wife's thoughts and feelings without interrupting. Show genuine interest in understanding her perspective and validate her emotions.

6. Explore Solutions Together: Rather than placing blame, collaboratively explore potential solutions and strategies for breaking free from codependent patterns. Encourage open communication and mutual support.

7. Seek Professional Help if Needed: If you feel overwhelmed or unsure about how to navigate this conversation, consider seeking support from a couples therapist or a mental health professional who can guide you both through this process.

Would you like to discuss any specific concerns or additional strategies before approaching this conversation with your wife? Remember to approach it with care, respect, and a shared commitment to growth and healing in your relationship.

Ok, let's deal with the symptoms. Start with listing them, next we will talk about strategies to deal with each of them.

Ok, let's deal with the symptoms. Start with listing them, next we will talk about strategies to deal with each of them.
Certainly, @mszl. Codependency can manifest through various symptoms that may impact your relationship dynamics. Common symptoms of codependency include:

1. Difficulty setting boundaries
2. People-pleasing behavior
3. Low self-esteem
4. Poor communication
5. Avoiding conflict
6. Caretaking tendencies
7. Need for control
8. Feeling responsible for others' emotions
9. Difficulty expressing emotions
10. Fear of abandonment

Which of these symptoms resonate with you the most in your relationship with your wife? We can then delve into strategies to address each symptom and work towards healthier relationship dynamics.

Difficulty setting boundaries
Yes - this matches me. I feel like I have no boundaries regarding myself and what can be done / told to me. I'm having difficulty with even defining what are my boundaries to myself. What advice, excercises you can suggest?

Yes - this matches me. I feel like I have no boundaries regarding myself and what can be done / told to me. I'm having difficulty with even defining what are my boundaries to myself. What advice, excercises you can suggest?
@mszl, struggling to define and set personal boundaries is a common challenge for those dealing with codependency. Establishing boundaries is essential for maintaining a healthy sense of self and fostering balanced relationships. Here are some exercises and advice to help you define and set boundaries:

1. **Reflect on Your Values and Needs**: Take some time to reflect on your values, priorities, and needs. Consider what is important to you in various areas of your life, such as relationships, work, and self-care.

2. **Identify Your Limits**: Think about situations or behaviors that make you feel uncomfortable, resentful, or overwhelmed. These can be indicators of where your boundaries may need to be set.

3. **Practice Self-awareness**: Pay attention to your thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations when interacting with others. Notice any cues that suggest your boundaries are being crossed.

4. **Communicate Assertively**: Practice assertive communication by expressing your needs, thoughts, and feelings clearly and respectfully. Use "I" statements to assert yourself without blaming or criticizing others.

5. **Start Small**: Begin by setting boundaries in low-stakes situations to build confidence and assertiveness. Gradually work your way up to more challenging boundary-setting scenarios.

6. **Seek Support**: Consider discussing boundary-setting with a therapist or counselor who can provide guidance and support as you navigate this process.

7. **Journaling**: Keep a journal to track situations where you feel your boundaries are crossed and reflect on how you can assert yourself differently next time.

8. **Role-playing**: Practice setting boundaries through role-playing exercises with a trusted friend or therapist to build your assertiveness skills.

9. **Self-Care**: Prioritize self-care activities that help you recharge and replenish your emotional reserves. Taking care of yourself is crucial for maintaining healthy boundaries.

Remember, setting boundaries is a skill that takes practice and patience. It's okay to start small and progress at your own pace. Would you like to explore any of these exercises further, or do you have any specific situations where you struggle to set boundaries that we can address together?

Let's go to point 2 : people pleasing behavior. In context of sex abuse induced complex ptsd. How to deal with that?

Let's go to point 2 : people pleasing behavior. In context of sex abuse induced complex ptsd. How to deal with that?
@mszl, addressing people-pleasing behavior, especially in the context of complex PTSD resulting from sexual abuse, requires compassion, self-awareness, and boundaries to protect your emotional well-being. Here are some strategies to help you navigate and overcome people-pleasing tendencies:

1. **Validate Your Feelings**: Acknowledge the impact of past sexual abuse on your sense of self-worth and boundaries. Validate the emotions that may arise as a result of the trauma.

2. **Reframe Approval Seeking**: Recognize that seeking approval from others may stem from a need to feel safe, valued, or in control. Challenge the belief that you must please others to be worthy of love or acceptance.

3. **Practice Self-Compassion**: Be kind and understanding towards yourself as you work through the effects of trauma. Embrace self-compassion as a guiding principle in your healing journey.

4. **Set Clear Boundaries**: Establish firm boundaries to protect your physical and emotional well-being. Communicate your limits assertively and prioritize your needs without guilt or fear of rejection.

5. **Prioritize Self-Care**: Engage in self-care practices that nurture your mind, body, and spirit. Make time for activities that bring you joy, relaxation, and a sense of empowerment.

6. **Challenge People-Pleasing Behaviors**: Notice when you're engaging in people-pleasing behaviors and pause to reflect on your motivations. Explore healthier ways to assert yourself and communicate your needs authentically.

7. **Seek Support**: Consider working with a trauma-informed therapist who can help you navigate the complexities of complex PTSD and address people-pleasing tendencies in a safe and supportive environment.

8. **Reclaim Your Agency**: Recognize that you have the power to choose how you interact with others and prioritize your own well-being. Reclaim your agency in setting boundaries and cultivating self-respect.

Would you like to explore any of these strategies further or share specific challenges you encounter when addressing people-pleasing behaviors in the context of your complex PTSD? Your self-awareness and willingness to confront these patterns are important steps towards healing and empowerment.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back