• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How to Handle Flashbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybug08

Confident
I did not have a good afternoon yesterday. My son called me from school wanting me to pick him up at soon as possible. I work night shift, so I got ready for work, went to the school, left my cell phone at home, and he was not waiting for me. I circled the school several times, but he was no where to be found. I got stressed, and I started having flashbacks. I left campus to use a phone at a place of business, he picked up and told me he just finished having his meeting. I was not happy...needless to say everything went down hill...we got into an argument when I picked him up,and he screamed that he is so sick of me getting stressed out. I try so hard, but the flashbacks are horrible. I hate feeling this way, and I can't help but think that I am a terrible parent and I will always be alone. Who wants to live with someone who has PTSD?! I wish they just go away! :wall:

HI Lady,

Do you have any coping skills for flashbacks??? Do you have a therapist that is trained in trauma that can teach you some skills???

Grounding yourself is the most important thing and lots of self talk to calm yourself down. Stay in there here and now, try not to let the flashbacks take over.

I do have a therapist. I started in Oct. of last year. It has taken me awhile to admit that I have PTSD. I was so numb that I did not feel safe to truly reveal myself during the sessions. Now the tears are flowing, and the flashbacks are more common. We have gone over coping skills, but I have to admit I forget them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back