• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Natural Disaster How to I manage anxiety from a real threat like a possible tornado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleoc

MyPTSD Pro
There are going to be strong storms in my area tomorrow and the anxiety over them is really messing with me. I'm here asking for a little help on how to manage anxiety over possible bad situations that will happen for several hours.

I'm going to quote a post directly from my diary.

TORNADOES. There were some and they really sucked. My family/friends in and around Nashville and Cookeville were okay this time.

Today we're getting more severe weather. Two storms with an "enhanced risk" for tornadoes, flooding, high winds, hail, and more. So I'm feeding all my reptiles tonight just in case and gonna collect my outside cat and put him in his hotel (I bought a 200$ cat kennel for him so the old man wouldn't be out in the cold because my mom leaves him there all day if I'm not here...).

The first storm is expected to arrive between 2pm and 6pm. I cancelled my yoga because I don't want to be out during this. The second storm will arrive between 6pm and 2am. I am not thrilled. I've been anxious all day and wondering what I'd need to do in case of a tornado because things in this house aren't exactly the absolute safest for this kind of event, despite all the work I've done. I guess I'd hide in the closet? There's only enough room for one person, though. And my profoundly disabled aunt is upstairs and I'd probably have to f*cking abandon her up there...

I'm not really sure how to combat these thoughts because these are very real scenarios. I should probably make a quick post in the actual forums about this for general advice...?

I have been through bad tornadoes before. They've left a scar on my memory and a fear of losing animals and things I love and not being able to take care of myself or them because of a lack of owning literally anything. (For example, if I recover a cat from the wreckage, who says I'm going to be able to take this cat to a shelter with me? Feed her? Bathe her to get debris out of her fur? Keep her somewhere safe?)

My county was hit so hard a few years ago that it was flattened in several places and got its own Wikipedia page. I'm sure I must be catastrophizing (spelling?) things, but it seems valid to in this situation.

What would you do?

Thanks for the help. <3

I've often wondered, idk. I can sympathize, that's about it. I was in MO a few times and I couldn't feel it. Right in tornado country. A neice of mine is in Tennessee now and was only a few miles from serious tornadoes a few days ago.

I think I would do what I do now as much as possible which is try to feel acceptance. Like I don't live in where you do or California where they have to feel like that about the earthquakes. But that's no surety I have any time left.

So my chance are the same as yours even though you live in a danger zone. I have the entire Atlantic ocean a couple blocks from here. There is a big range of volcanoes underwater out in the mid Atlantic. They are not active like that Pacific rim but they are in the Caribbean. Tidal waves happen.

It's easier when you get older I remember this being much more of a problem when I was younger. I hope you feel better.!

What are your absolute necessities to get through safely, do you have them, *can* you get them?

Anxiety:
Breathing. First & foremost.
If available, meds. Valium, what have you.
Remembering not your fault. Some losses maybe ain't inevitable but are not avoidable.

You & your life comes first.
You got this. Good luck. :tup:

(Wanna write more. Just not medically super stable rn. So this will do.)

There are going to be strong storms in my area tomorrow and the anxiety over them is really messing with me. I'm here asking for a little help on how to manage anxiety over possible bad situations that will happen for several hours.

I'm going to quote a post directly from my diary.

I have been through bad tornadoes before. They've left a scar on my memory and a fear of losing animals and things I love and not being able to take care of myself or them because of a lack of owning literally anything. (For example, if I recover a cat from the wreckage, who says I'm going to be able to take this cat to a shelter with me? Feed her? Bathe her to get debris out of her fur? Keep her somewhere safe?)

My county was hit so hard a few years ago that it was flattened in several places and got its own Wikipedia page. I'm sure I must be catastrophizing (spelling?) things, but it seems valid to in this situation.

What would you do?

Thanks for the help. <3

Im in the same path of storms. I like to meditate in the mornings and at night and I add some during the day when I feel anxiety. Storms are scary and they seem to be starting earlier each season. If you can find yourself in a positions to be able to meditate, do some self care, and try and logically look at the situation while taking precautions, maybe it will give you the right mindset to get through them.

I have the same response to the potential of fire from any source and, in particular, with regard to my cats. The only thing that has helped me is making sure I was very prepared. I keep carriers near windows, have a place for them to go if we are displaced. I also am in an area that ha frequent and severe tornadoes; I live mostly underground, so it is less of a problem here. But I know where we will go in the house if need be.

As for managing with no monetary resources or my stuff? There are innumerable sources to help after such a disaster and, after thinking it over, I have come to realize that stuff is just stuff.

Breathing. So important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back