• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Military How To Talk About It..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
@b3cca if you are worried that you may say something wrong please don't be. As a combat vet with PTSD I really wish at least one person would have taken the risk of asking me if I was OK. Of simply saying they would listen. No one ever did. Not my family. Not my friends. That hurt.

Sure he might get angry. He might reject your offer. Don't take it personally. And don't push. But he will remember that one of friends was there for him. And that means a lot.

I would not bring it up directly.
PTSD in the military is a sign of weakness, which to me is totally ridiculous.
I convinced my uncle to go who is a Vietnam veteran. His pride was getting in the way, and he didn't want to admit that he had a problem. I started talking to him about the problems that i was having. If i were you, I would study up on the symptoms, then talk to him about "a friend of yours" that is having problems like hyper-vigilance, nightmares, and other PTSD symptoms. Then ask him what would he do.

What can I do during these emotional moments for him to know I support him and that it is okay?

cannot say you what to do, but can say you that you should avoid to touch him.

had a pretty shitty experience due to that. there was a girl. i had a crush on her. we met several time. i'm far from being confident with people i meet. due to my feelings for her, i did choose to talk her about my past. i did. probably she wanted to be kind so she touched my shoulder. she petted me as you could do for comforting a kid. my mind explosed. i did think she was assaulting me. yeah i know, it was absurd but that was a stupid reflex. i did not think : she is kind, she acts friendly with me. i thought : she is going to kill me. and i reacted as reflex : i hit her.

after that i was so ashamed. couldnt say anything. and couldnt explain her why i did that. she was schocked. and i was in a nightmare. i would have wanted to shout her i have been surprised and i NEVER NEVER hit women but i couldnt talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back