• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How to tell my employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FauxLiz

Sponsor
I have been offered a job interview for a position that would allow me to return to the area I lived before taking my current job. It is a similar position to my current, possibly a little higher pay, maybe less responsibility but very similar. I am trying to figure out how to tell my employer.

If this doesn't turn out to be an amazing job with much more money, equal or less stress and better benefits I am really not interested in leaving my current position. I only applied because positions in my field rarely have opening in that part of the state where this job is and where I want to return to living. If I don't get this job it could easily be 5-7 years before another position at my level in the career path I have in this area of the state is open, very low turnover for jobs.
So How do I convince my employer that even though I have only been here 18 months and will be happy to stay another 5-10 years more, if I don't try for this job I will always wonder and will get itch feet to move sooner rather than later.

Yes I do have a good relationship with the majority of my bosses, I report to a board so not just one person.

As for why I have to tell, in my field the hiring process for position at my level are public, which includes interviews to which the public is invited, press releases and news stories about candidates and much more, not telling is worse than telling and sometimes individual in my position lose their jobs because the board they report to find out they were looking at a different job.

Can be a major issue if you don’t get the new job,

As for why I have to tell, in my field the hiring process for position at my level are public, which includes interviews to which the public is invited, press releases and news stories about candidates and much more, not telling is worse than telling
Any chance a mutually respected individual recommended this job to you???

Because THAT’S always a get out of jail free card. Thousand easy ways to phrase owing someone the courtesy of hearing them out before turning them down... that assuages their fears before they have them, and raises you in their esteem.

If not? The politics of your board really determine your next steps. Whether there’s one person you really need to come to first, or whether it can be an all but afterthought at the next meeting(just to keep the board apprised, I’ve been asked to interview at such&such. I don’t plan on accepting, but it’s always nice to be asked ;) You know how these things go, half the people who are asked are simply there to raise the bar for the other half that actually want the job); or should be something you work out in detail with your chief of staff, press secretary, or whomever, in order to manage prickly egos.

that even though I have only been here 18 months and will be happy to stay another 5-10 years more, if I don't try for this job I will always wonder and will get itch feet to move sooner rather than later.
If I was on your board, that would work for me. (I'd probably rephrase the last line a little.)

You're entitled to a life. You aren't their slave. They know you relocated for the current job. They may, or may not, know you'd rather be living closer to where you came from. Either way, you have a legitimate right to want to live wherever you want to live. I guess what I'm saying is you have nothing to apologize for here. I really like the line about how you'd be happy to stay for a long time, but you'll forever wonder if you don't give this a try. I'd suggest taking that angle.

Having said all that, I'm self employed and haven't always done well with workplace politics, so maybe missing something.

Good luck!

Ok, understood. Well then yeah, you have to tell them. It's good that you have a good relationship with them.

I have been offered a job interview

I'd go along those lines. It was OFFERED to you -- doesn't sound like you were actively looking (and if you were, they don't necessarily need to know that ;) )

Plus this:

will be happy to stay another 5-10 years more

Emphasize this. But go with how it would be totally impolite to decline even going to the interview if it was offered to you.

I personally wouldn't talk about this interview job being closer to your old place, they might interpret that as you probably continuing to look to leave at the first opportunity, regardless of how much you try to reassure them that you're happy to stay another 5-10 years. Try to keep the personal aspect out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back