• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hypervigilance, feeling safe, startle response/jumping out of my skin every time I hear a noise....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flip flop

Confident
Aw, heck, I’m honestly considering wrapping my entire house with razor wire....might feel a little safer. Feeling like I’m living in hell. No appetite. Insomnia. Seeing therapist this week. I might be able to get a sign made to put on my door that indicates that someone with PTSD lives here with a high startle response and that nothing inside my home is worth dying for as a warning. And, for what it’s worth, please do not worry… I am not going to kill anybody. I have just been eaten alive by my PTSD symptoms for the last two weeks and I’m scared half to death. That’s all.

I went through a period like that. Even my legs moving my sheet caused me to scream at the sound. I'm weaning off Klonopin now, and my starle has gone up but not as much as you're describing. There are some good meds that help with that. Prazosin helps with nightmares but helped with my startle a lot. It's a blood pressure med that doesn't do a lot for blood pressure, but it sure helps with PTSD.

I could have written this a couple of months ago when I was under real stress at work.
My EMDR had turned up the noise controls in my head and everything made me go crazy - alarms, doors closing just a bit too quick, the freaking coffee machine, and even the vibrate function on my watch threw me into a total panic.

No advice but maybe some hope as it tailed off. Hope you get some respite soon.

Aw, heck, I’m honestly considering wrapping my entire house with razor wire....might feel a little safer. Feeling like I’m living in hell. No appetite. Insomnia. Seeing therapist this week. I might be able to get a sign made to put on my door that indicates that someone with PTSD lives here with a high startle response and that nothing inside my home is worth dying for as a warning. And, for what it’s worth, please do not worry… I am not going to kill anybody. I have just been eaten alive by my PTSD symptoms for the last two weeks and I’m scared half to death. That’s all.

your not alone. im pretty sure my neighbors think im completely insane. i screech when startled, it happens three times a day sometimes. i do it when people knock, and ive done it twice in the past 2 hours. i cant control my anger either, so im sure they hear that too. try coloring, yoga, or writing in a journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back